Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently May Sat 26, 2018 8:40 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 8:21 pm 
Member

Joined: Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:53 am
Posts: 187
Location: Bloomington, IN
I pulled 2 off the Radiomuseum.org site. One doesn't match my particular set; the other matches, but the person who drew it used only lines - no markings indicating if crossing wires are connected or not. As you can imagine, it's really confusing.

Barring a schematic, if you can tell me the Primary and Secondary connections for both XFMRs, that would help. Both were removed on the unit I came across.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 9:02 pm 
Moderator

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 36527
Location: Livermore, CA
Does this match your radio?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 005369.pdf

_________________
Norm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 9:12 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 1:55 am
Posts: 4007
Location: Mountains of Mourne. Ireland.
Fada One Sixty schematic here...
http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0026.pdf

The complete issue (Radio News, May 1931) can be downloaded here...
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Rad ... _Guide.htm

Greg.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 12:01 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:53 am
Posts: 187
Location: Bloomington, IN
Norm Leal wrote:


Sorry. Should have been more specific.

It's the 1923, 4-tube model 160-A.

"egg" sent me a link that should help. I had something similar to it already, but mine still had gaps.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 12:02 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:53 am
Posts: 187
Location: Bloomington, IN
egg wrote:
Fada One Sixty schematic here...
http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0026.pdf

The complete issue (Radio News, May 1931) can be downloaded here...
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Rad ... _Guide.htm

Greg.



Thanks! I'll give that one a try.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 1:06 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 1:55 am
Posts: 4007
Location: Mountains of Mourne. Ireland.
The page Norm linked to includes the earlier four-tube schematic...

Greg.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:26 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:53 am
Posts: 187
Location: Bloomington, IN
New XFMRs in place, but performance is a bit lacking. As it sits right now, there's no grid leak (one schematic shows it, others don't), so I'll add it in. Can't hurt anything. Tuning the middle coil is a bit tricky, as body capacitance interferes.

However, I think my biggest problems have been the same with all the radios: weak tubes, insufficient antenna and a poor earth ground. Still, I'm getting a signal, so I'm on the right track!

Thanks for the help!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 6:28 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 12146
Location: S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 USA
Yikes! What an unconventional schematic!

The draftsman drew the wires that crossed as NOT connected, any single wire touching and having no wire continuing is a connection. In other words, placing a connection dot on all tee junctions should be correct.

The set is probably NOT neutralized. A tube with an open filament and not shorting will work, or some means like a piece of tape on the filament contact of the tube socket.

The dummy tube is installed in the 1st RF and the radio tuned. The neutralizing condenser is adjusted for minimum signal. Test the setting across the entire tuning dial and pick the best compromise. Replace the dummy with a good tube and then put the dummy in the 2nd RF, repeat, done... Do not re-adjust the neutralizers for any reason except changes in wiring in the RF section or use of totally different tubes like something from the DeForest line... Then you would need a dummy DeForest and more tape :)

This is just a triode detector, NO grid leak required...

He, he, got yourself another reflex, :lol:

Chas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Schematic Needed for a FADA Model 160-A
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:34 pm 
Member

Joined: Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:53 am
Posts: 187
Location: Bloomington, IN
Chas wrote:
Yikes! What an unconventional schematic!

The draftsman drew the wires that crossed as NOT connected, any single wire touching and having no wire continuing is a connection. In other words, placing a connection dot on all tee junctions should be correct.


The kind of schematic that causes seizures!!

Chas wrote:
The set is probably NOT neutralized. A tube with an open filament and not shorting will work, or some means like a piece of tape on the filament contact of the tube socket.

The dummy tube is installed in the 1st RF and the radio tuned. The neutralizing condenser is adjusted for minimum signal. Test the setting across the entire tuning dial and pick the best compromise. Replace the dummy with a good tube and then put the dummy in the 2nd RF, repeat, done... Do not re-adjust the neutralizers for any reason except changes in wiring in the RF section or use of totally different tubes like something from the DeForest line... Then you would need a dummy DeForest and more tape :)


I'll give that a try. I haven't touched them yet.

Chas wrote:
This is just a triode detector, NO grid leak required...


One schematic had it, one didn't, and then there's that nightmare schematic. I figured it couldn't do any harm. Will be easy to remove, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lorenz200w, tubes4life and 9 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB