Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 21, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with zenith wavemagnet 7s529
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 11:15 pm 

Finished recapping / wiring a Zenith 7S529 and trying to align it. This is the first radio I’ve done with a wavemagnet and I’m confused. I was able to adjust the IF with no problem. I can only receive a few stations. A couple on the low end around 660 and 770 and one on the high end 1500 kHz. Everything in between is a lot of whistling and a few stations sort of come in, but reception is really poor. If I touch the wavmagnet it picks up a little better. The instructions say to connect the signal generator to Ant-Gnd with 10 ohm shunt and use a 400 ohm dummy ant. I assume this means I disconnect the jumper between the A and G terminals on the wavemagnet and connect there? When I do I can’t get a tone anywhere. Instead I hear radio stations coming through. Is it better to use a loop and place it next to the wavemagnet? Even if I align using radio stations, why is the reception so poor? Am I supposed to jump the A and G terminals for regular reception and disconnect when using a long wire for shortwave? It seems to pick up BC better with the jumper removed. I’ve read conflicting answers on the forum.

Post subject: Re: Need help with zenith wavemagnet 7s529
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 11:42 pm 

The Wavemagnet has two non-connected windings: the external antenna winding and the tuning-circuit winding. Feeding a signal into the A and G terminals is essentially the same as coupling in a signal to the tuning-circuit winding using an external loop.

Are you certain that the Wavemagnet is the correct one for your radio? These can't be randomly "mixed and matched" among various Zenith models, even those of the same model year. If your Wavemagnet is known to be correct for your radio, check the three wires that connect the antenna to the chassis for continuity. If one of these is open, the radio won't tune properly and will have poor sensitivity. The wires also need to go to the correct places in the chassis. If the radio has never worked properly while in your ownership, it's possible that a previous owner replaced the crumbling-rubber-insulated wires that attach the Wavemagnet to the chassis and swapped a couple of connections.

Post subject: Re: Need help with zenith wavemagnet 7s529
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 1:37 pm 

One thing about Wavemagnets, the wire length between the antenna and the plug must be the same when you are replacing it. If not, the radio will not peak up probably. I found this out the hard way.
Not sure if this will cause the whistle you hear. I would suspect a bad bypass cap, ground connection to a cap, or lead dress under the chassis.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.