Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 18, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Packard Bell Model RPC-38
PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2015 12:06 am 

I bought a Packard Bell Stereo console unit for 10 dollars. The record player works but the radio does not. I opened up the back and found the tuner string is broken. I found a manual and wire diagram for this unit. It shows the dial cord stringing and says tuning gang fully open. Does this mean all the way to the left or right? And where should the needles be set when I string it? I thought the dialing was cool, it looks like a tracking/targeting system. The AM gang shows one turn on one end of string, does this mean 1 full wrap around the pulley before going to other pulleys? I would appreciate any help on this, I cant find any service places around here familiar with this.

Post subject: Re: Packard Bell Model RPC-38
PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2015 1:30 am 

Fully open means the plates are not meshed (smaller plates are outside of the larger plates). That would be the highest frequency the radio can receive, so AM would be around 1600 and FM would be 108. Most of the radios will have the pointer go past these points on the dial; do not glue the pointer in position until you know it is right.
Yes, one full turn. On the main shaft I sometimes add a turn (3 1/2 if it says 2 1/2), but do it the right way first to see how it works out.

Post subject: Re: Packard Bell Model RPC-38
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 5:57 am 

Hi! i recently purchased the same console, would you be able to send me a digital copy of the manual that you have? Did you ever get it to work? i think mine has the same problem, i cant change the tuner dial. Also, one of my speakers doesnt work. I am hoping to be able to restore it.
Thank you!