Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 6-RF-9 Volume
PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 2:59 am 

I have had this radio for a while, having restored it a few years ago. The radio is a beautiful performer. I have the Bakelite version.

Lately, while playing AM, the volume drops to a low level. All of a sudden it gets loud (normal)again. Tapping the radio does not bring the volume up again.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I am hoping it is not the dreaded IF transformer capacitor migration problem.

Thanks

Mike

Post subject: Re: RCA 6-RF-9 Volume
PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:04 pm 

Try wiggling the tubes while the radio is playing to see if you can duplicate the problem. If so, clean all of the tube pins. Another check: poke at underchassis wiring with a wooden stick to see if there's a bad solder connection.

Post subject: Re: RCA 6-RF-9 Volume
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:13 pm 

wrnewton wrote:
Try wiggling the tubes while the radio is playing to see if you can duplicate the problem. If so, clean all of the tube pins. Another check: poke at underchassis wiring with a wooden stick to see if there's a bad solder connection.

Thanks! That was it. The 6CB6 tube had intermittent contact. I cleaned the socket and changed out the tube with on from my stock.

Thanks
Mike