Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Schaub Lorenz Duett 700
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 8:04 pm 

I need belts for the Shaub Lorenz duet 700 console. Can anyone suggest a place? still turns on turntable won't spin receiver works but cannot tune. I have replacement tubes

Post subject: Re: Schaub Lorenz Duett 700
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 9:06 pm 

I don't think that this model uses belts in the turntable, and the tuner definitely does not- it uses cords. The turntable would be a Perpetuum Ebner (unless it has been replaced) so it would use a rubber-rimmed idler wheel to transmit motion from the motor capstan to the inner rim of the platter.

If you can hear the motor running (turning, not just humming), the ider wheel rubber has probably gotten hard with age and is too slick to transmit motion. I'm not sure that anyone sells PE replacement parts anymore, so it might be tough to find a replacement. However, there are folks who do custom re-rimming using your original core.

Another possibility is that the motor is seized up in its bearings and not turning at all. A turntable of this age probably has petrified grease in the changer mechanism , which also could be jamming the platter and preventing it from rotating. Finally, the rubber bushings that insulate the motor from its holder may have disintegrated, preventing the motor capstan from contacting the idler wheel. Lots which can go wrong!

It will be necessary to pull the platter in order to make a definitive diagnosis. It should be retained by a "C" clip at the base of the spindle where it enters the platter. Pry out the clip with a small flatblade screwdriver and lift up the platter. You may need to remove the vinyl record mat to get access to the clip depending on the model of changer. If you don't see a "C" clip at the base of the spindle, it is retained by a platter hub clip (underneath the changer) which should be visible when the turntable is removed from its plinth.

In addition to the above mechanical issues, the pickup cartridge has probably also "aged out" and will no longer produce much if any electrical output; so be prepared to replace it, also.

Tuner-wise, the link below will take you to a source of service information for your set, including how to re-string the dial cords. Be advised like, like most German sets, dial cord replacement is not for the impatient or faint of heart.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/schaub_du ... tereo.html

Post subject: Re: Schaub Lorenz Duett 700
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 4:49 am 

Thank you very much for all this information I didn’t expect very many people to know about this turntable that my parents bought in the 50s I plan on fully restoring it as a project I understand it might take quite a bit of time I will keep in touch as to what the problems are with the turntable I love the fact that it has shortwave radio also :D