Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 24, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulova clock radio problem with clock
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:59 pm 

I have a Canadian Bulova clock radio Model 190.The clock runs silently but the second hand is jerky and only runs for a minute and quits.If I unplug it and plug in again it will always start again.I oiled the gears and it ran real well for an hour or two.Now it's back to where it was in the beginning.The seconh hand runs unevenly so it appears that the gears are the problem.Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Bulova clock radio problem with clock
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:45 pm 

Look at the gear(s) associated with the second hand. You'll probably find the gear is worn or missing teeth...or the bushings the gears are set in have worn...causing the gear to wobble slightly, enough to lose contact at times. It doesn't take much bushing wear to do this.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:50 am 

That's what I thought,but after I gave it a good oiling it ran smoothly for an hour or two,which would'nt have happened if any teeth were missing.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:25 pm 

The oil is probably acting like a "viscous bearing", and its surface tension is causing the rotating part to center itself until the oil seeps away. If you are able to wiggle any parts in the gear train, the bushing wear is probably excessive. It doesn't take very much misalignment or binding for these exceedingly-low-power gear trains to lock up, especially on the hour-hand drive train.

I'm not sure what your skills are, but you might be able to disassemble the unit, inspect it, then make and fit new bushings (or sleeves) into the worn rotating parts. It helps if you've done clock repair before to diagnose the problem; but if you are a keen observer you can probably figure it out without this background.

Dust is the bad guy here. Usually the axles are made of hard steel and the bushings that they turn in are brass. This hard metal/soft metal combination serves to ensure very little wear, at least in the absence of dust. Dust can be extremely abrasive and when it gets between the axle and the bearing, the bearing or bushing is the part that usually gets the worse part of the deal.

Over-oiling attracts and retains dust and its consequences can be more problematic to repair than simple lack of lube.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 10:57 pm 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.Working on these small gears is quite intimidating,since I'm 87 and my eyesight is'nt what it used to be.Maybe with the help of a magnifying glass I might tackle it.I.ve got nothing to lose,I can't make it any worse.