Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 02, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone Neutrodyne Radio
PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2005 11:03 pm 

I have just aquired this Beautiful Silvertone Neutrodyne Radio. I was told it is 1924 or 1925 model. My problem is that the cord is an old cloth cover with six wires sticking out, no plug on the end. There is also a battery inside. I need to know how to hookup the six wires,or should I even try this without damaging the unit. The tubes all look good. I really do not know much about radios, any help would be appreciated.<BR>Thanks<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Thu 11, 2005 12:14 am 

The 6 wires probably go to 3 individual batteries. In old radios they are referred to as the A, B and C voltage.<P>The voltages will vary somewhat depending on the type of tubes. Typically the A voltage might be anywhere from 1.5 to 6 volts, the B might be 90-135 and the C would be minus 4.5 to minus 22, for example.<P>If you've never done this before you'll need to search for the diagram so you can figure out what connects to what. You'll also need a suitable speaker or headphones?<P>-Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Thu 11, 2005 12:25 am 

More than likley the wires inside that cloth harness are rubber insulated and are breaking apart as I write. Best to replace them before coonecting to any power source.<P>------------------<BR>Jim <BR>------------------------<BR>Who was first to see a white thing come out of a chickens rear and say "That ought to taste good!"

PostPosted: Aug Thu 11, 2005 1:32 am 

Given a photo, or a description of the front-panel layout, I could probably identify the model. The battery inside is the C bias battery. That leaves two wires for the 6V filament battery, and four for the B supply, or three different voltages and common negative. That would put the set around 1925-6. Before you go too far, check the audio transformers for continuity, as they often (almost always) go bad. They should read roughly a thousand ohms or less.<P>The tubes are probably good, as these sets were often retired when the family bought a new AC model.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Thu 11, 2005 2:57 am 

Tony: usually these old battery sets have screw terminals that are marked with what goes where, battery-wise.<P>If you just have unmarked wires, you're going to have to trace them out -- hopefully with the aid of a schematic (need to know model number). But even without a schematic, the proper battery connections can be determined by experience.<P>------------------<BR>Doug Criner <A HREF="http://www.enginova.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.enginova.com</A>