Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 22, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car radio vibrator
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 2:42 pm 

Hi guys,

I am fighting with an old vibrator because it only starts sometimes, I remember there is a trick to have it working again, but I can't remember how it is done, please could someone enlight me??

The vibrator is the #83-0035, for a car with 6V negative ground system, while I'm at it, someone has one for spare I could buy?

Thanks

Giulio Maiocco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 2:59 pm 

Hi Giulio

There are things that can be done if points aren't burnt away. After a lot of operation vibrator points will burn. I've taken some apart that no longer had points.

Vibrators have a coil and couple sets of points. Power is first applied to the coil. In most vibrators a set of points closes shorting out the coil. This causes switching. If the points don't make contact there won't be any action.

You can power the vibrator with high voltage trough a lamp. Operate the vibrator off the 120 volt AC line. The lamp will limit power to the vibrator but allow high voltage to clean away oxidization on the points. You probably have 240 volts? Never tried a vibrator on this high of AC line.

A vibrator can be taken apart by prying along the bottom. You can check condition of points and file them flat if they are pitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 4:52 pm 

The technique which Norm described of running the vibrator from the AC line with a current-limiting resistance was recommended by the vibrator manufacturers to clean the contacts.

The only other solution is to disassemble the vibrator and clean the contacts by hand. But that's a lot of trouble, and the AC power solution usually works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 5:31 pm 

Hi Norm and Leigh,

I have just done the trick you suggested and now the vibrator seems to work, it usually starts, but not always, I have to rapidly switch off and on the radio to start it. Here in Italy we have 230V ac line, but I used a step-down transformer that isolates me from some dangerous shocks.

I had to open it anyway to file the contacts, but now they are like new, so this vibrator should have some life left in it.

Kind Regards

Giulio Maiocco

Post subject: Re: Car radio vibrator
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 6:43 pm 

[Hello="Giulio Maiocco"]
I will check my Stock I have few N.O.S one still in the original boxes I see if I still have any left.
sincerely Radio Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 7:15 pm 

Hello Radiorich,

your offer is much appreciated, the radio in question is not mine, but is for a dear friend of mine that is restoring his GM (?) 1951 truck. He has also a 1963 V8 Cadillac and I like vintage cars!! :D

If you find the vibrator, we could find a way to pay you what I owe for this part

Thanks a lot

Giulio Maiocco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2006 2:05 am 

Norm's method will usually work. But of course opening up the vibrator and cleaning the points is best. But back in the old days we never did either, I can remember when you could buy new vibrators at the auto parts or electronics store for only a few dollars, so there was little need to try to restore an old one. No doubt we threw away many vibrators in years gone by which could have been repaired and furnished several more years of useful life.

This brings back memories which many will share who grew up driving old cars with tubed radios, or who own antique cars presently. A vibrator which sometimes did not start was fairly common. And of course you did not want to pull the radio from the dash until absolutely necessary. So the solution was usually to switch the radio on-and-off a couple of times which generally got the vibrator started. If not, then bang your fist on the metal dashboard and that usually did the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2006 2:28 am 
Silent Key

Oh, yeah, I fondly remember those days of banging on the dash and multiple switchings of the on/off switch to get a cranky vibrator to work. Then there were the times when you were out on a date and after being parked for a while with the radio playing the Rolling Stones or Elvis, you realized it was time to get her home. Suddenly you remembered why you always parked on a hill or had jumper cables with you if other cars were going to park nearby.

I always headed for the mountains, so I always made it a point to park with the car situated so you could get a rolling start after you killed your battery by listening to the radio all night. Of course they were all in stick shift cars. No automatic transmission cars, like my buddy's Buick Dynaflow that we had to always jump to get it started.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 22, 2006 5:21 am 

Another solution would be to use a solid state replacement for the vibrator. The manufacturer may sell to you or tell where you can purchase one.

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/vibratorsF.htm

these are also available here.http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=RADIORESTOR&SEARCH_TREE02=VIBRATORS