Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 25, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Step by step cabinet refinishing. (pdf)
PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2012 7:01 pm 

I came across these files on step by step cabinet refinishing; cleaning, label preservation, loose veneer reattachment, prep and final finish. The radio is a Fairbanks Morse 58T1, with step by step photos. It's in two parts, links below:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... DA&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... -Q&cad=rja
Enjoy.
And a couple more with a focus on veneer replacement/ repair:
http://www.maarc.org/Articles/Radio_Cab ... ion_P1.pdf
http://www.maarc.org/Articles/Radio_Cab ... ion_P2.pdf
All came from the MAARC.Org radio club website, also published in 2002 and 2009 issues of Radio Age.

Post subject: Re: Step by step cabinet refinishing. (pdf)
PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2012 5:19 pm 

Excellent articles! Thank you for sharing them.
Chris

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2012 9:33 pm 

I was just going to make a topic asking for the procedure of replacing those small chunks of veneer that are missing. Very timely post for me. Thanks very much for posting. :D

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2012 6:22 am 

I have a GE Tombstone K60-P that I just want to clean up and put a little shine back to it for a up comming contest. What would you do? I know many many years ago I used lemon oil on my philco but didn't do alot for it!! The Articles above mention Kramers Best Antique Imporver any one use it and or know where to buy it at? I didn't know that you shouldn't wipe a radio down with a damp rag, I have done this before to just get the dust off them? I like radios that have been refinished because I like the high gloss shine but all mine are in unrestored contition and thats ok too!!! Any suggestions or help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

Lynn

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2012 4:56 pm 

philcolynn wrote:
I have a GE Tombstone K60-P that I just want to clean up and put a little shine back to it for a up comming contest. What would you do? I know many many years ago I used lemon oil on my philco but didn't do alot for it!! The Articles above mention Kramers Best Antique Imporver any one use it and or know where to buy it at? I didn't know that you shouldn't wipe a radio down with a damp rag, I have done this before to just get the dust off them? I like radios that have been refinished because I like the high gloss shine but all mine are in unrestored contition and thats ok too!!! Any suggestions or help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

Lynn

Hello,
Well this is still new territory to me as well. In the past I've always sanded wooden cabinets down to bear wood and then went with 3 or 4 thin coats of.....purists look away...polyethylene, then a light once over with fine steel wool to take some of the shine down. As far as a finish restorer or wood conditioner; I just came back from Lowes and they did have a lot of wood restore products, with names that I've heard mentioned here in the past. The best advice I can give is to start a topic, someone will be able to help. As for why I was at Lowes; I just picked up a can of spray lacquer with the idea being to save the original finish on a GE 430, if it works it will be a bonus. If not I'll sand it down and give the lacquer another try, after all it does seem to be the proper (aka original) way to go.
Best of luck

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2012 4:29 am 

W2CKL wrote:
Hello,
Well this is still new territory to me as well. In the past I've always sanded wooden cabinets down to bear wood and then went with 3 or 4 thin coats of.....purists look away...polyethylene, then a light once over with fine steel wool to take some of the shine down. As far as a finish restorer or wood conditioner; I just came back from Lowes and they did have a lot of wood restore products, with names that I've heard mentioned here in the past. The best advice I can give is to start a topic, someone will be able to help. As for why I was at Lowes; I just picked up a can of spray lacquer with the idea being to save the original finish on a GE 430, if it works it will be a bonus. If not I'll sand it down and give the lacquer another try, after all it does seem to be the proper (aka original) way to go.
Best of luck

Sanding down to bare wood removes any stain or more likely, colored toner from the wood.
Bare wood with clear, whether it is poly or lacquer does not look right. We have seen such cabinets here where the owner took off all the coloring, then simply applied lots of clear. It did not look right, and kind of anemic.