Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GE Radio Engineering Department Receiver Section 1925?
PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 8:04 pm 

I just posted a Wanted To Buy.... I need the mate to this AC input plug. I assumed that the pins were 0.5" apart but I am wrong. The spacing is about 0.415"

If you don't have one to spare, I'd like to see a picture of one. Because of the place it is located, I know that the body of the mating connector cannot be greater than 7/8" diameter.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 5&t=330697

Thanks to Jeff Lendaro I now have this part to use in my restoration.

Thanks,
Robert

Attachments:
AC-inlet copy.jpg
AC-inlet copy.jpg [ 98.04 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]

Last edited by Robert Lozier on Dec Sat 23, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 8:10 pm 

Here is a quick snapshot of the dial scale that I had to generate... I'm happy with the results. It appears that no RCA sets of the 20s ever attempted to list station call letters like this.

Robert

Attachments:
800-New dial scale.jpg
800-New dial scale.jpg [ 95.12 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 23, 2017 8:26 pm 

So after four full months of shop effort, I'm ready to claim the chassis ready for exhibition. So made these pictures yesterday... Front and back of the chassis plus the bottom. The close-up of the front panel shows that the lithographed and photo etched panel is very near to being past the point of making presentable. Hopefully it will never again be exposed to high humidity conditions. One photo shows one of four serial number tags. This one is on the receiver chassis, others are on the catacomb, power supply and the back of the wood cabinet.

One photo shows the curious attempt to make dial vernier drives. The idea being able to toggle a shaft with worm gear attached in and out of contact with the ribs for thumb traction on the dials. It does not seem to work very well mainly because the dials require too much torque from the little knobs.

This chassis is HEAVY! (I'm guessing more than 60 lbs.) Unfortunately, the way the chassis is made, It is extremely difficult to lift straight up. The dimensions of the cabinet are so tight, that I will have to rig a web sling of some sort and get my next door neighbor to help me to lower it into the cabinet.

Considering the wreck I started with, I think it came out pretty good. If I'm lucky, most museum visitors will never even spend time wondering if this much work has been expended and stick to learning something about how product design worked at a major radio development operation in the 1920s.

I hope to make cabinet photos tomorrow.

Robert

Attachments:
800-GE-vernier-1.jpg
800-GE-vernier-1.jpg [ 114 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
800-GE 1509.jpg
800-GE 1509.jpg [ 138.65 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
800-GE-cbtm1.jpg
800-GE-cbtm1.jpg [ 85.35 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
800-GE-cb1a.jpg
800-GE-cb1a.jpg [ 86.54 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
800-GE-cf2.jpg
800-GE-cf2.jpg [ 108.83 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
800-GE-cf1.jpg
800-GE-cf1.jpg [ 71.68 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 23, 2017 10:19 pm 

Stunning work. I'm just amazed. I would be lost if I had to rebuild it.
What tubes did you end up putting in the power supply? Thanks for
keeping us updated.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 2:05 am 

The smaller of the three tubes is a Type 71-A (Don't know if there was ever a 71 that made it to market. So it is just a guess that the 71-A is good enough.)

The other two tubes are certainly Type UX-213 that are NOT connected in parallel as you see in the first Stienites. I only have two of them in my collection. The AWA Museum does not have any spare duds either... So what you see are balloon 80s... I hope someone will come up with some dud UX-213s that we can display properly in the set.

The same is true for the UX-199s I seem to have a lot more Cunningham than RCA branded 199 tubes... So we could also use 4 nice looking RCA branded duds.

Robert

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 10:21 am 

Well done Robert.

An excellent piece of work.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 2:22 am 

Boy! I've been waiting four months to get to this post. The chassis done and actually in place in its cabinet. :D

No wonder there is probably just one of these beast... er sets... No competent person would regard this cabinet design to be serviceable. The chassis weighs about 75 lbs and there is no way a human can grasp it and place it down into the cabinet. There are only two possible ways. Use a web sling like I did and lower it into place. In my shop I have an electric winch that drops an open side box down from the folding stairs opening. This does a dandy and safe job of getting heavy stuff up there.. It is good for a minimum of 500 lbs. and I was able to hang the chassis under it.. Otherwise I would have had to have the sling lashed to a 2x4 and have a helper to lower it into place..

The only other way would to unscrew the bottom of the cabinet. Turn the sides upside down, bolt the chassis to the base then have a helper to turn the bolted chassis upside down and lower onto the sides. Then replace the 15 wood screws attaching the sides to the base. THEN flip everything right side up.

How this cabinet design ever got built is a mystery to me. The next steps are to prepare the documentation of this work... Certainly a challenging project... I'm looking to 'cool off' on a couple of relatively easy projects for a while.

Robert

Attachments:
800-GE-final-frnt-1.jpg
800-GE-final-frnt-1.jpg [ 83.86 KiB | Viewed 1416 times ]
800-Drop-in-2.jpg
800-Drop-in-2.jpg [ 144.69 KiB | Viewed 1416 times ]
800-Drop-in-4.jpg
800-Drop-in-4.jpg [ 166.33 KiB | Viewed 1416 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 9:50 am 

Does look really good now though. A lot of work and ingenuity but you can be well pleased and proud of it.

From junk to a display item.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 3:55 pm 

Robert,

That's quite an amazing outcome!!

Thanks for keeping us posted. Lets fire it up!

Thanks,
Tim

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 4:27 pm 

Robert,

All I can say is WOW! You certainly have some "Mad Skillz" that are certainly on display in this restoration. I would never have dreamed that set could have been saved.

Well done!

Alan

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 4:59 pm 

You have truly resurrected the long dead from the grave. Boris Karloff would be proud of your work. Great job,

Joe

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 5:10 pm 

You did a great job of saving a very rare piece. Outstanding work!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 8:16 pm 

Hi Robert, What a great Christmas surprise!!

You performed a miracle with this historical receiver- your attention to detail is uncanny.

I never realized what a chore it was to place the chassis inside the cabinet- I guess the engineers at GE never
thought about it either. They probably placed it in the cabinet once, said "whew" and never removed it again!

The AWA thanks you very much for all the time. effort and knowledge that you put into this restoration.
Like we said before, it would have probably spent its life in a cardboard box if you hadn't stepped up and
performed miracles to bring it back from the dead.

Please consider at the very least, an article for the AWA Journal- if not a full blown tell-all account complete with
a copious amount of images for the review!!

We have a special display area ready when this set makes it back to the museum

Ernie Hite is smiling down at you right now for the righteous rebuild you performed!!

Please have a cold one on us & have a Happy & Safe New Year!!! :P :P

73 Jim

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 3:52 pm 

Great save!

"Salvageable" is a relative term. Glad you took up the challenge. Beautiful work.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 6:28 pm 

WOW~

You've done a remarkable job. Maybe I missed it, but how is it as a performer?

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 8:14 pm 

This set is a one-of-a-kind Engineering Sample 'missing link' or development dead end in GE's work to produce a successful AC powered Superhet. As such it should remain as close to original as possible. To break it up, unsolder 90 year old brittle wiring, melt out pitch, kluge-in whatever 'gits 'er goin' parts to replace the parts that were never designed to survive FUNCTIONAL for so many decades destroys the historical value.

There is MUCH old gear around today that long ago had multiple repairs or modifications that make them no longer historical references of much value for serious research. These are the things for you to have fun on fixing them up, again, to run a little while longer till something else breaks and you toss in yet another new or substitute part.

Robert

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 11:49 pm 

Wait just a minute, are you saying you don't plan on rewiring for bluetooth???

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:45 am 

Robert Lozier wrote:
This set is a one-of-a-kind Engineering Sample 'missing link' or development dead end in GE's work to produce a successful AC powered Superhet. As such it should remain as close to original as possible. To break it up, unsolder 90 year old brittle wiring, melt out pitch, kluge-in whatever 'gits 'er goin' parts to replace the parts that were never designed to survive FUNCTIONAL for so many decades destroys the historical value.

There is MUCH old gear around today that long ago had multiple repairs or modifications that make them no longer historical references of much value for serious research. These are the things for you to have fun on fixing them up, again, to run a little while longer till something else breaks and you toss in yet another new or substitute part.

Robert

+1 You did it right !!!!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 2:57 pm 

Hi Robert

The restoration of the AWA Radiola prototype is a masterpiece, that has carried you and your readers on a 4 month exciting Odyssey, through lost wood, corroded metal frames, unusual radio components and even an odd power supply. It is like assembling a 3-D puzzle built around a bygone radio circuit. Someone told me that in contrast to metal, one cannot weld wood or veneer – well you Robert almost can. Truly enjoyable go through all the pictures and comments before and after.

Kind regards
Anders

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 12:03 am 

I'm not surprised at your work because I have seen a lot of it. Does this mean we all can send impossible projects to Monroe?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next