Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 21, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Admiral 195 11S
PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 3:59 am 

Redid this cabinet in 1961 or 62 in HS shop. I think the shop teacher had me use something that had to be melted into the bad spots, so long ago can't be sure. The parts I need to repair are in the middle top and left side top, you can probably see them, there to dark.
Would I tape the good part around the bad and sand some then use a light color slowly to match the right shade? There's a small crack in the two areas that need fixed. The whole cabinet looks sort of porous so maybe needs something for that.

Thanks

Attachments:
Radio_18.18.jpg
Radio_18.18.jpg [ 64.96 KiB | Viewed 711 times ]
Admiral 195 11S.jpg
Admiral 195 11S.jpg [ 49.4 KiB | Viewed 711 times ]

Post subject: Re: Admiral 195 11S
PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 1:31 pm 

Its hard to say what needs to be done from just looking a the pictures, on the top if the wood veneer is missing in that area you will need to carefully replace with another similar grain veneer (patch repair) the upper outer corner shoulder area can be spot repaired . I would just strip and refinish entire cabinet and replace the grill cloth, you did it once and you can do it again but this time you have the radio forum to help you along, or find a good refinisher and have them do it for you. I also have that model Admiral model 195-11s console. I have had it for 40 years and was my first antique radio. I also refinished it as a kid but now had refinished it 2 years ago because I'm a lot better at it. If its only a small crack as you said , you can fill the crack with wood filler then refinish.

Attachments:
new cell photos 070.jpg
new cell photos 070.jpg [ 170.37 KiB | Viewed 662 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 10:12 pm 

The wood veneer is missing at the top Fred, wish I hadn't put filler in it. Will have to sand out to the right depth. Looking at it closer I see a spot just to the left of the top bad spot that needs to have veneer too. It also looks like I sanded the rails, that are darker on yours, and made them almost as light as the veneer. Needs more than I thought.
Do you know if the grill cloth you used is what it had? I read on another post that one can clean the brass using 0000 steel wool lightly leaving darker spots. Were you able to use the speaker that came with it? Trying to find a few parts to get radio working. I'll try to get better pictures soon. Thanks Fred

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 1:50 am 

The veneer on the top left side will have to be replaced, you may have to do the same on the other side in order for it to both sides to match, the center piece of veneer can be fixed, it does take some knowhow to repair that to look presentable. You can cut that bad section out and replace with a piece of veneer to somewhat match grain. I don't have time to explain how to do all that your asking. The grill cloth on your radio is not factory nether is mine, your cloth belongs on a zenith radio and that pattern is called (block pattern) do not polish your dial frame on push button frame , there called (escutcheons) Mine are way to shinny and will be corrected to give the patina look. That's what you want is the antique (aged) look on the brass so leave those alone I will change the cloth in my Admiral as soon as I can. I don remember what the correct pattern is for that model Admiral. There is a chemical I think its called copper sulfate that I will use on my escutcheons, I have some at the shop and have used it on polished brass, you soak the brass in it for about 15-30 seconds and it will nock off the polish look and give it the patina back. So what I'm saying is my radio needs to be worked on some more to get it looking factory and aged, My radio has rich powerful bass sound, you can find a replacement speaker for yours if its missing. Hope that helps you any.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:10 am 

Is there anything you would put on the veneer to keep it from drying out? Some of it looks dry and sort of open grain.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 20, 2018 9:32 pm 

Fred, is your speaker grill the right style that was on it? All that I can remember is gold and about the same pattern as is on mine now. Did you have to find any knobs, I'm looking for two but the two I have arn't very good?

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2018 3:01 am 

The grill cloth is not the right design for my radio, it looks ok but will change it out soon to something better looking, not sure what the original looked like. The cloth in your radio is a zenith block pattern which is not correct as far as I know. You can get reproduction of that pattern if you like it , it must have been replaced long ago the way it looks but not original. I think the original for my radio had a diamond pattern look. The knobs on my radio are original and were on it all the time. You may be able to find the knobs for yours.