Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 21, 2018 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring the 0 - 100 marking scales on TRF radio dials
PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 11:38 pm 

Wondering if anyone has any new suggestions for renewing the white (or off white) 0-100 scale marks on TRF radio dials?

I've only found one old topic thread, which mentions using White Out, or a crayon, or a lacquer marking stick. Has anyone come up with something better to recommend? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Restoring the 0 - 100 marking scales on TRF radio dials
PostPosted: Mar Wed 21, 2018 12:03 am 

The white acrylic paint that craft stores sells is the best that I have found. Use a small rubber squeegee and then a clean cloth to take off the excess. Perfect results for me every time.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 3:39 am 

I have tried acrylic but it tended to come off easily.

A few weeks ago I used dollar store ivory colored nail polish and after a few attempts came up with this system that worked really well. I have done three now with very good success.

Shake the bottle well brush on the nail polish to cove about 3/4 of an inch of dial. Wait about 20 seconds then with a fairly light gauge piece of cotton cloth (I used and old Egyptian cotton sheet) wrapped around my index finger and dipped in nail polish remover press down and give it one wipe, repeat with a clean piece of cloth if required. The secret is to make sure the that you do not have too much nail polish remover on your finger/cloth - just enough to do the job.

I like it cause it holds well when dried and you can go over spots that you are not happy with. And the stuff comes in a multitude of colors.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 1:09 pm 

I followed the advice on this YouTube video with the knobs on my '25 Standardyne and the results were excellent. You have to be careful, but all in all it's fairly simple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDeE48dVyTw

PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2018 11:53 am 

I've used white lacquer sticks from Radio Daze. Just rub it on then dry a bit then rub off the excess. Then I shoot a coat of clear lacquer over the whole thing. The white lacquer sticks have been out of stock at Radio Daze forever. Example of results shown here.
Attachment:
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG [ 121.58 KiB | Viewed 645 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2018 12:12 pm 

I have used both the fill sticks, and the enamel pinstripe paint.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2018 6:16 pm 

From my experience, fill sticks may seem like an easy answer, but I found it to not only make a smudgy mess, but the wax will often keep filling and voiding unevenly. You also have to be sure you remove all of the old fill. You can't do it in a "spotty" fashion. The old fill may look white, but not compared to the new fill. I'd sooner recommend paint, buffing off the excess, and then you don't have to spray coat the knobs. Just my own slant.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2018 11:43 pm 

I tried the white lacquer stick and also the beige nail polish approach. In both cases, I first picked out the remaining old paint using a pin and then cleaned up a bit with the Goof Off paint removal product (see photo - middle knob). The pin used was purchased at WalMart in the sewing items aisle.

The picture on the left shows a knob refinished using a Markal white lacquer paint stick purchased online from Grainger (item number 41MW09 - cost of $4.76 - ordered online and picked up at my local Grainger store the following day). The knob on the right was done with Dollar Store beige nail polish.

The white lacquer has a much crisper look, and is very easy to apply (the excess could be easily wiped off with a tissue). However, you may find it to bright, and not as original looking as the beige paint used on some TRF dials. That's a personal decision. In my case, I prefer the Markal look.

I found the beige nail polish tougher to apply. By the time the stuff is drying in the grooves, it is also drying on the top surface of the dial. Removing the latter often removed the former, despite being careful. That said, I reapplied the nail polish several times and eventually got an acceptable outcome. And, mistakes were easily cleaned up (I used acetone on cloth cut from an old T shirt).

I haven't yet tried spraying the dial with clear lacquer as some have suggested. I'm going to first try using some bakelite polish on a dial before applying the Markal.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied!

Attachments:
TRF dials - cleaned - white paint stick - beige nail polish - small version.jpg
TRF dials - cleaned - white paint stick - beige nail polish - small version.jpg [ 94.23 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 1:45 am 

never spray the dials with lacquer, poly, etc. they were never done that way, and do not look correct. Also a PITA to remove, as I have done it many a time.