Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 23, 2018 9:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grain Filler-Again
PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 1:18 am 

OK I am about to do my first radio cabinet-a Grebe MU-1 with a finish that to me is very dark brown/black. The case has been stripped-there was no way to save the original finish, badly flaking and several pieces missing. The missing pieces have been replaced with correct mahogany wood.. Because the finish is going to be so dark, I am going to Timbermate black as a grain filler. My question is-I have some dents and depressions that need to be filled and I was going to use Timbermate in mahogany as a wood filler. Both are water based so I am wondering if I should fill dents, sand and then use the black as grain filler or the other way around. My concern is that since they are both water based will one soften and remove the other.

Woodcraft is where I got the Timbermate and they have a stain color that is called Java-a very dark brown which I was going to add a bit of black to. They also have java lacquer toner. I know that Mohawk has very dark walnut that I could add black to as well and then use the dark brown toner.

Any thoughts to the process?
Abe

Post subject: Re: Grain Filler-Again
PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 1:48 am 

I would fill the dents first, just because the grain filler will then tint the filled spots to match everything else. Do you plan to use water-based stain? I've tried it and like it.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 1:58 am 

Water based has never been my thing-In my business-art restoration and picture framing many companies are using water based stains o the picture frame molding stock-and when you compare the new samples to the old ones of the same pattern they simply do not look as good-and harder to touch up as well. But that could just be my age and skill set showing. I will just use oil based stains here.

I usually do victrolas and most of them are shellac and I have gotten pretty good at that./
Abe

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 2:00 am 

I have a Victrolla stripped on the outside, but with original finish in excellent condition on the inside. I bought it that way. Any tips? I have the Shellac musical instrument finish.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 2:32 am 

Look at a sight called the Shellac Shack on the internet-and then email me. I pad shellac rather than brush or spray and there are a couple of u tubes on the web that show that process. Padding is really easy once you practice on just some scrap wood. But you really need to make up your own shellac.

Abe

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 5:21 pm 

My way would be to do the grain filling with an oil based filler (nothing against the water based but I know the other works for me). Then do a stain again oil based.

Next day start filling the dents, gouges etc with cellulose lacquer from a lid and using an artists paint brush. Allow to dry and then redo as it shrinks back and then redo .... You can only do one surface at a time as it has to be horizontal. Takes time but worth it as invisible when done as suggested. After all the wounds are above surface (scabs) then put away somewhere warm for at least a week (two for me), (do the electronics) and then flat down with say 400 grit. If it doesn't come off clean it isn't hard enough yet !!

Now the stain will likely be sanded back a little so go over that again and when dry (next day) ready for lacquer. This will reflow the surface of the sanded down scabs and you see right through to the grain filled veneer.

Gary

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 3:13 am 

A better alternative to filling shallow dents is lifting them with heat and moisture.
This works well on many dents. A gouge means would has been lost and the process won't work for that.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 10:18 am 

Doesn't work for me, I tried it long ago and now stick to what I know works. It doesn't upset the veneer glue bond either.

Yes! a gouge must have veneer in the bottom, maybe just a bad choice of word.

But try both that's how I find out and then go with what you like best.

Gary