Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 26, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting plywood edges (GE E-86)
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 6:11 am 

I've been creeping along on the cabinet restoration on a GE E-86. Lots of little steps. The finish was gone from moisture exposure. Veneers had lifted here and there but were intact. I've glued them down (that's why lots of little steps) and gone back and re-glued the places that the steel wool found. The front corners are solid wood with grooves routed in them vertically, like fluting. Those were painted, probably, but I filled them with a dark brown varnish stain which gave about the right color. I'l sand the solid wood to remove my slight over-fills with the brush.

Tonight's project was painting the plywood edges of the grill fretwork. I mixed some back and brown paint to get a good match to the original and set to it with a brush. Of course, it's hard to keep the brush bristles on the edge only, so I've got paint to remove. I figure to use a cabinet scraper to get most and then sand lightly.

So here's my question: Is there an easier way to re-paint plywood edges? I just used a small brush and tried to be as neat as possible.

As a note, this 1936 radio used mostly inexpensive veneers, with one indulgence in walnut for the top middle and the front portion below that where the dial and knobs are. All the rest is some fine-grained mystery wood. The good news is that because it was cheap, it could also be thick, which preserved it when the edges started curling in storage. There will be less worry about sanding too vigorously and oops, right through the veneer.

Chris Campbell

Post subject: Re: Painting plywood edges (GE E-86)
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 4:27 pm 

Black or dark brown acrylic paint is what I usually use. Those little plastic bottles of it are cheap. Water soluble, so it wipes off if you make a mistake.

Other people use a black marker or sharpie.

Peter

Post subject: Re: Painting plywood edges (GE E-86)
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 6:03 pm 

I recently painted the edge of some 1/4-inch plywood. I used a real cheap brush (about 3/16" across) that came in a pack from Dollar Tree. The brush had extremely stiff bristles which kept the paint on the edge only.