Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 22, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Color of Zenith 10S549 Chairside Bezel?
PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 11:56 pm 

The bezel of my radio is worn, has several spots of missing paint and overall having a "prickly" aged metal look.

Anyone know the original color? Or an acceptable current coior?

Any assistance will be truly appreciated. I've been staring at this piece for two weeks, went to several stores, nothing acceptable ...

Best wishes, Frank

Post subject: Re: Color of Zenith 10S549 Chairside Bezel?
PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 2:36 pm 

I know the color of the that escutcheon is a tough one to match if your thinking of Krylon or rustoleum paint, for me I was able to color match mine because I work in a paint and body shop for a living and was able to make the color myself. In your case what I would do is go to an auto parts store where then sell spray can paint for exterior auto finishes , o,rileys auto parts, auto zone, PeP boys. I bet you will be able to find a color that is close to what you need. Or take the escutcheon to a auto paint store and have them match the smallest amount for you. Get a solvent base paint, don't clear it. Just use the base coat because it will be satin when it dries and will be durable as well without the clear coat on it. Or send it to me and I will paint it for you but don't strip it I will need the color still on there for me to match it.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 3:57 pm 

fred taylor wrote:
I know the color of the that escutcheon is a tough one to match if your thinking of Krylon or rustoleum paint, for me I was able to color match mine because I work in a paint and body shop for a living and was able to make the color myself. In your case what I would do is go to an auto parts store where then sell spray can paint for exterior auto finishes , o,rileys auto parts, auto zone, PeP boys. I bet you will be able to find a color that is close to what you need. Or take the escutcheon to a auto paint store and have them match the smallest amount for you. Get a solvent base paint, don't clear it. Just use the base coat because it will be satin when it dries and will be durable as well without the clear coat on it. Or send it to me and I will paint it for you but don't strip it I will need the color still on there for me to match it.

Thanks for your response, Fred. I was wondering if anyone would respond to my "nothing" query. I'll check the local stores, bringing the escutcheon with me ... I can't wait to see the stares and gaping mouths of the customers!

Question #2: The escutcheon's metal finish is now rough, sort of like aging metal, atmospheric changes. Would you recommend a light "sanding", say with 000 steel wool prior to paining? And, yes, a satin finish would be best ... I recently viewed a Zenith console that had been "fully restored". Excellent cabinet toning and repair work, but a hard shiny finish to it and the escutcheon. Looked like plastic ...

Thanks and regards,

Frank

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 4:24 pm 

Yes I would smooth it up , steel wool or sand paper, 600 grit wet would work. Then spray a few light coats of lacquer sealer or primer. Then spray your color.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 7:21 pm 

fred taylor wrote:
Yes I would smooth it up , steel wool or sand paper, 600 grit wet would work. Then spray a few light coats of lacquer sealer or primer. Then spray your color.

Well done ... Thank you! Frank