Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 21, 2018 2:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "Clearcoat" Removal
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 2:57 pm 

There's a Silvertone 6110 on the bay. Looks very nice. However,the seller states the following: "THE RADIOS BLACK BAKELITE CASE HAS HAD A CLEARCOAT APPLIED AT SOMETIME IN THE PAST AND NOW THE RADIO HAS A PIANO MIRROR SHINE" .

How do you determine what this coating is? Will removing it destroy the finish or weaken the cabinet?

Or would it be better to just leave it? I'm assuming this detracts from the value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD-19 ... 1438.l2649

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: "Clearcoat" Removal
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:40 pm 

If you like the look, leave it. Lacquer or shellac would be fairly easy to remove as that case is Bakelite and the chemicals shouldn't harm it, however, the dial markings would most likely need to be repainted. A Polyurethane coating would be a lot tougher to remove and you might end up damaging the case.

Does it hurt the value? Maybe. Originality, especially many years ago in this hobby, was much more highly prized. Today, it seems like glossy, shiny and flawless are more highly prized, no matter how the results were achieved, as long as it all looks good to the eye. Personally, I waver between the two camps.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:59 pm 

Prange wrote:
There's a Silvertone 6110 on the bay. Looks very nice. However,the seller states the following: "THE RADIOS BLACK BAKELITE CASE HAS HAD A CLEARCOAT APPLIED AT SOMETIME IN THE PAST AND NOW THE RADIO HAS A PIANO MIRROR SHINE" .
How do you determine what this coating is? Will removing it destroy the finish or weaken the cabinet?
Or would it be better to just leave it? I'm assuming this detracts from the value.

Thanks.
-> How do you determine what this coating is? Ask the seller... Oh you already own it, Oops..
Try various solvents, if it a a catalized finish, then only a paint remover will take it off..

-> Will removing it destroy the finish or weaken the cabinet? Two questions> Likely the finish is spoiled under the coating, hence, the clear coat, sound Bakelite in good condition does not need clear coat. Two, The cabinet won't be weakened, but if it has been patched because of a crack, the resins in the patch could be weakened from a paint remover.

- > Or would it be better to just leave it? Leave it, find another that hasn't been "restored".

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 6:41 pm 

Chas wrote:
Prange wrote:

Thanks.
-> How do you determine what this coating is? Ask the seller... Oh you already own it, Oops..
Try various solvents, if it a a catalized finish, then only a paint remover will take it off..

-> Will removing it destroy the finish or weaken the cabinet? Two questions> Likely the finish is spoiled under the coating, hence, the clear coat, sound Bakelite in good condition does not need clear coat. Two, The cabinet won't be weakened, but if it has been patched because of a crack, the resins in the patch could be weakened from a paint remover.

- > Or would it be better to just leave it? Leave it, find another that hasn't been "restored".

GL

Chas

==========

I don't own it. Since I'm new to the radio world,I see a bunch of radios that I would like. I just don't want to dump money into something that's not worth it.

I've no intention of buying and selling to make a profit on them.

I'm no craftsman and have no interest in refinishing and/or restoring them. I know my limitations. I can fix anything around the house or just about anything mechanical. I can cut a 2x4 and rewire a lamp. That would be the extent of my radio repair skills.

I know that I can't restore cabinetry and my eyes glaze over just looking at the underside of a radio chassis with the zillion inaccesable soldered connections and wires.

I just don't have the patience or skill that you guys have. I do admire the fine workmanship involved in restorations.

Thanks for any input you may have. I do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 7:08 pm 

PRANGE wrote:
I don't own it. Since I'm new to the radio world,I see a bunch of radios that I would like. I just don't want to dump money into something that's not worth it.

I've no intention of buying and selling to make a profit on them.

I'm no craftsman and have no interest in refinishing and/or restoring them. I know my limitations. I can fix anything around the house or just about anything mechanical. I can cut a 2x4 and rewire a lamp. That would be the extent of my radio repair skills.

I know that I can't restore cabinetry and my eyes glaze over just looking at the underside of a radio chassis with the zillion inaccessible soldered connections and wires.

I just don't have the patience or skill that you guys have. I do admire the fine workmanship involved in restorations. and occasional use of an antique

Thanks for any input you may have. I do appreciate it.
Bargains can be found, but they won't be clean or working. Problem is finding radios that are well restored by reputable craftsman.

I suggest Radio Attic.

http://radioattic.com/

Read what it takes to sell a radio there and to continue to sell. In your position finding better quality sets, that venue stresses that such quality must be offered to remain a seller.

As a long time collector, I still find the thrill of the hunt as rewarding as the restoration. But to each his own.

You might query ARF members about Radio Attic. The proprietor is an ARF user/member.

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 7:18 pm 

IMHO the clear coat is applied for one reason only, to sell the item. A bakelite radio with a piano finish looks wrong. It looks too new. Like a modern reproduction. In contrast a bakelite radio that has been polished will present much better in person as the shine comes from the polished material and the media used to achieve it. A painted finish looks exactly like what it is... painted.

As an aside I would bet my butt that this particular seller had the item painted himself and not "at sometime in the past" unless that means a few days ago. As far as I'm concerned the guy could'nt spell honesty if he had a dictionary.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 7:40 pm 

badwaxcaps wrote:
IMHO the clear coat is applied for one reason only, to sell the item. A bakelite radio with a piano finish looks wrong. It looks too new. Like a modern reproduction. In contrast a bakelite radio that has been polished will present much better in person as the shine comes from the polished material and the media used to achieve it. A painted finish looks exactly like what it is... painted.

As an aside I would bet my butt that this particular seller had the item painted himself and not "at sometime in the past" unless that means a few days ago. As far as I'm concerned the guy could'nt spell honesty if he had a dictionary.

I agree with your assessment of this guy. I've seen this type of listing on Gunbroker.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 8:32 pm 

Just to clarify my assesment of this guy's character, my father and I both had a very negative interaction/purchase with him. Item NAD and he was less than cordial on the phone.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 8:45 pm 

badwaxcaps wrote:
Just to clarify my assesment of this guy's character, my father and I both had a very negative interaction/purchase with him. Item NAD and he was less than cordial on the phone.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 8:46 pm 

Duplicate post.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 10:57 pm 

I don't care for the clearcoat treatment, on the other hand it may be awhile before you see another one of these that isn't broken or missing parts.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:51 am 

I wouldn't be surprised if the radio case had some damage and by repairing , painting and clear coating, like you would a car finish, would have covered up the repair. If you strip it , you may uncover into the repaired area and you will have a mess to fix.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:30 am 

I do not trust this guy. I have a friend who bought some radios from him. He will not buy radios again from the seller.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:33 pm 

fred taylor wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the radio case had some damage and by repairing , painting and clear coating, like you would a car finish, would have covered up the repair. If you strip it , you may uncover into the repaired area and you will have a mess to fix.

Excellent. That's a great analogy. Thanks.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 3:24 pm 

Prange wrote:

Thanks.

____

Don't just walk away from this seller, RUN!!! Have seen him numerous times at Kutztown and he's a "piece of work," to say the least.

K4DLM