Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 6:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Zealand Columbus '84' cabinet repaired and refinished
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 10:51 am 

This is the 1938 Columbus model 84 - a 5-valve + eye set I obtained a while back and just needed to try and save. It's had quite the life by the looks of things but its all restored and running nicely again... ready to do another round. This one will probably end up in my barn but for the time being it graces the lounge with its presence.

I unfortunately have no 'between' photos of this set, but this is probably the set I'm most proud of saving. The actual process took days, and all the clamps I own (and a little bit of veneer to replace missing bits). Almost every bit of ply had delaminated - making it a nightmare... I carefully slipped glue between all the layers and clamped various bits until the glue dried, then moved on to the next bit... until I had enough bits of ply again to glue back together into a cabinet. Its completely all the original wood just put back together, except for a couple of small bits of veneer on the back edge.

Yes, there is a missing bit of veneer on the front above the speaker grill - one day I'll fix that... maybe :)

Attachment:
columbus 84 before (Custom).jpg
columbus 84 before (Custom).jpg [ 121.02 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

Attachment:
IMG-8bdf33cce679228b62dc841c2113db68-V (Custom).jpg
IMG-8bdf33cce679228b62dc841c2113db68-V (Custom).jpg [ 143.04 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

Attachment:
IMG-fef1db774f44d6393ffe55737be5f91f-V (Custom).jpg
IMG-fef1db774f44d6393ffe55737be5f91f-V (Custom).jpg [ 162.85 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

This was the last set I did using the Preval setup - I just can't get that to work... either the lacquer is too thin and it dries in the air before it hits the set or its too thick and it clusters on the surface rather than spreading itself evenly. I just couldn't seem to find the right consistency... and the sprayer gets very cold while its spraying, which reduces the pressure - making it worse. I've got a nice shiny new spray gun to attach to the compressor so I'm going to give that a go on the next one.

Cheers

Steve

Post subject: Re: New Zealand Columbus '84' cabinet repaired and refinishe
PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 2:49 am 

I like 'left handed' radios. Have only a couple in my collection.

I have a Columbus timber cabinet set waiting patiently in my house attic for the past 20 years or so. I think it dates from the late 40s.

The most interesting of my three N Z sets is a Pacemaker (C & B) 5155 with its unique Bakelite chassis with the circuit wired with bare wire.

I saw your other radical rebuild job... Fun to see how other folks solve problems...

All the best,
Robert

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 2:44 am 

Cheers Robert - we were just discussing the 5155 (Pacemaker 'Petit') in another thread here.

What model is your Columbus?

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 3:24 am 

Steve,

Thanks for the surprising link to the Motorola thread.

Don't know the model of the Columbus just now... Will try to remember to snap a few pictures tomorrow... I collected some info on it years ago I think.... I was a member of NZVRS for a number of years.... Have fallen behind in some of my club memberships now that I'm only on Social Security income.

More later, I'm really sleepy...

Robert

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 5:49 am 

Steve,

Beautiful save, nice work!

Don't confine it to the barn unless you have a controlled humidity environment. Hate to see so that pretty veneer peel again.

Tim

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 11:28 pm 

If it goes to the barn it will be to listen to, not to store it... :) But you're right, the barn is probably not the right place for it... the garage maybe...

If I remember, I'll post a before and after pic of a radio I set up in my friends shed to listen to there. Lesson learned with that one... :oops:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 3:21 am 

Did not make it up to the house attic today but my Columbus appears to be like this one...

Attachments:
Columbus.JPG
Columbus.JPG [ 95.62 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 3:42 am 

That looks like a Columbus model 53. If so, I have full service info and a nice sales brochure for it, so I can send you that :-)

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:26 am 

kiwi_steve wrote:
If it goes to the barn it will be to listen to, not to store it... :) But you're right, the barn is probably not the right place for it... the garage maybe...

If I remember, I'll post a before and after pic of a radio I set up in my friends shed to listen to there. Lesson learned with that one... :oops:

This is the one - a warning of the dangers of leaving a restored radio in a barn even for a short time...
From this:
Attachment:
airline.jpg
airline.jpg [ 137.87 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]

To this:
Attachment:
20180223_163916.jpg
20180223_163916.jpg [ 99.33 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]

Attachment:
20180223_163925.jpg
20180223_163925.jpg [ 146.24 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]

This was a set I laboriously restored in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=295225

Just a note - there are Photobucket (ie: the muppets that broke the internet) photos in that post. If you can't see them and you're using Chrome or Firefox then there are extensions you can download that makes those photos visible again - I'm not affiliated with them, I just use them to make the internet work for me again...

I was never really happy with the cabinet and always intended to redo it - but I never quite expected it to end up like this before that happened :(