Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 8:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Selecting a Veneer
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 5:21 pm 

Hi, All:

My name is Mike Boessen. I retired from the xray machine repair business last October and have decided to fill some of my time restoring antique radios. Needless to say, I am in the steep learning curve portion of this venture. I'm buying a few beat up, obscure, unloved, valueless brand radios on ebay to learn my craft on. I have a very extensive workshop, well equipped for most things, including woodworking and electronics.

I have purchased a rare (and apparently valueless) Belmont Radio Corp Crusader tombstone that will need to be completely re-veneered. In looking at veneers on the internet, I have encountered a lot of offerings that come with 3M peel and stick adhesive. Based on my previous experiences applying veneer to curved surfaces, this sounds very attractive, but I'm haunted by the old adage that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Can anyone advise me as to what type of veneer is best to use for this, types of adhesive I might use and maybe a few pros and cons to consider? Any good ideas for stripping off the old veneer? Heat? Solvent?

Also, the grille is totally busted out of this. The picture looks like somebody at Belmont took a good look at a Philco model 70 before designing their grille. Is there any such thing as a pattern you can buy to lay out on a piece of plywood to cut out a new grille?

Any advice, warnings, etc would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Selecting a Veneer
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 5:26 pm 

Apparently didn't get the photo uploaded. Trying again....

Attachments:
File comment: Front view of Belmont Crusader Tombstone
crusader front (Medium).jpg
crusader front (Medium).jpg [ 68.43 KiB | Viewed 1006 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 12:35 am 

My preference for large areas that need veneering I like the wood backed veneer and I use Weldwood gel contact cement. I apply two coats of glue to the cabinet and the veneer sheet. For small areas I use veneer saved from previously restored cabinet and Titebond wood glue and clamps.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 6:50 am 

Sounds like good advice. I'll get some of that Weldwood stuff.

Have you ever used the peel and stick stuff at all?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 1:24 pm 

I used just about all of the available veneer, I wasn't happy with the staying power of the peel and stick. I think when adding stain some would leach through the wood and cause the adhesive to loosen.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 4:58 pm 

Hi, Larry!

Yep. One of the very things I wondered about. Also, more than once in my life I have got a large run in a spray job and had to strip it off with thinner and start over. I suspect this would be fatal for peel and stick.

The only reservation I have about the wood backed stuff is that it is 40 to 50 thousandths thick, and the edge-grain backer stains darker than the veneer layer, leaving a thin, dark line along the edge that shows up in the finished product if you have an exposed edge. The early manufacturers resolved this issue by using tinted lacquer instead of staining the wood and using clear lacquer. I know there are rattle-can tinting lacquers out there, and I know lots of people use these in radio restoration. I very much prefer to hand stain and spray my finish with a compressor and spray gun. 1: You get the paint atomized a lot better and get a smoother finish. 2: Cost is about 1/3 of rattle can stuff. 3: I can buy top quality, professional lacquer in gallon cans for about 60 bucks and do 50 table radios with it. 4: Speed. you can spray a radio in 1/5th the time with power equipment.

All that said, a lot of poor grain matches and manufacturer patch jobs are under that tinting lacquer in these old radios. I need to investigate the possibility of buying a product to tint my own lacquer. Sigh. So much to learn.

I'm going to order the wood backed stuff.

Thank you for the benefit of your time and experience.

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 6:56 pm 

Mike:

Buzz1151 has a series on rebuilding a "Mystery Cathedral" radio where he rebuilds the front of a radio thats grill is busted much the same way yours is, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lRYGXI4MI he has a lot of good ideas and does a heck of a job.

Welcome from Ste Genevieve, Mo!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 8:13 pm 

Hi, Irishbull!

WOW!!!! That guy is a total HOOT! I hate to think how much time he puts into those videos. Absolutely amazing.

Thanks a lot for this tip! I think my Belmont Crusader project is in a little better shape than his, but it is a very similar radio and I suspect made by the same manufacturer. This video series is full of good ideas.

Thanks a bunch for reading my post and looking that up.

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 8:23 pm 

Mike:

You are welcome Sir.

I have learned a LOT from both Buzz1151 and John from Arkansas who goes by the handle "badrestorer" here on the ARF and "joernone" on youtube.

Bull

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 8:52 pm 

Just finished watching episode 1. Wowsers. This guy is a piece of work.
Can't wait to watch the rest of them, but need to haul some firewood in to the workshop from the back 40 or it's going to be mighty chilly in here.

Hello from Columbia, MO to you as well.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 8:56 pm 

Mike:

Give it until tomorrow, the way the weathers been around here lately. Think the high down this way tomorrow is supposed to be 72!

Bull

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 5:34 pm 

I have been trying to apply veneers on a flat surface with weights,, I still get bubbles, no matter how I try,, I don't know if vacuum-bagging has been mentioned or not..but I do need to lay out some cash for one, especially if contours need to be veneered,

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 6:24 pm 

Yep. My experience as well. The veneer supplier I just bought wood backed veneer from for my next 2 projects was VERY big on the peel and stick stuff and tried hard to get me to try it. I'm going to do these 2 radios with the wood backed stuff and see how it comes out. If they suck, I'm going to give the stuff a try.

I'm not sure how vacuum bagging can be used on a radio cabinet where the raised trim on the front would prevent it being able to contact the veneer. I use hard plastic and wooden rollers to press the contact cement together on curved surfaces. As the disclaimers on products always say, "Results may vary...."

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 5:21 am 

I have had success using Tite Bond 2 and an iron. An old one, not the wife's good iron.
Apply the glue to both surfaces with a brush. Use fine tooth metal applicator to get an even spread. Let dry almost an hour. Then use hot iron. The heat and some pressure sets the glue. I have not tried on a curved surface. Have used on cabinet tops and on control panels.
Tools include a veneer roller and also a veneer hammer. Not really a hammer, but shaped much like one. I made mine with a cast iron pipe "T" and a 1 foot length of cast iron pipe as the handle- and a 3 inch brick chisel through the pipe "T". Use it after the hot iron to run across the veneer with bearing down like a squeegee to help bond the veneer while hot and push any bubbles to the edge..
Do some searches. And also has been covered in more detail on this website. Try a search feature..
And see Fred Taylor's thread on the Montgomery Wards Movie dial a few threads below this thread. He also references Time Bond glue, heat and iron method.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 6:32 am 

John from Arkansas, ARF member badrestorer, has a video where he uses an iron to smooth the veneer out and get the glue to spread out good and it seems to work well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xuzQf5Zqig&list=PLPagKqeCjne9F9i21nCl_vQCGE00WEcHV&index=1 about midway thru the video he uses the old iron trick.