Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of purchasing a HVLP system
PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:45 am 

I have some projects coming up, and they’re too much for spray cans. Plus I’ve been thinking about stepping up the quality of finishing I’m doing.

I did some research and a two stage system is more than adequate for lacquers and thin finishes. I won’t use it for thick paint, so I can stay away from the really expensive models. I don’t want to replace my 12 gal compressor and buy dryer and gun for this. Also, I have heard that these systems waste less product, so there is less floating around in the air.

Here is a link to the one I’d like to get along with a 6’ super flexible hose for the gun end. What do guys think?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fuji-Spray-Semi-PRO-2-HVLP-Spray-System-2202/302431118?MERCH=REC-_-rv_gm_pip_rr-_-302431118-_-302431118-_-N

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

Post subject: Re: Thinking of purchasing a HVLP system
PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 3:45 pm 

Because I learned with a pressure pot i find it the best because you can put the gun at any angle without worrying about the cup.
That system looks interesting but for my self I'd change the gun out with a 1gallon pot. At work we use 2.5gallon pressure pots for staining, sealing, clearing, painting( different pots and guns for each stage except sealing and clearing.

The hardest thing for me to get was the pattern volume adj. An also the fact that plywood would tend to bubble when I applied to thick compared to Maple and Birch or Basswood. But doing it for 3years everyday i can now do it in all weather here on the Gulf Coast. Rain, Shine Super Humidity or whatever.

jason

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 9:43 pm 

Pressure pot idea seems way overkill for me. I’m doing relatively small cabinets and am not planning on production work. Only a few times a year will the system be used. Am I missing something here?

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:14 am 

No not at all just offering different things to consider.

As little as your doing a cup gun on a 12 gallon compressor is still doable. We have a Water separator that is more than sufficient for us we can run anywhere from 80% to 100% humidity here. But we use a hood vent , which you can fabricate for home use with a window a box fan and an air filter.

jason

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 4:18 am 

Thanks Jason,

Yea, when I looked at your location, I thought you had to have some kind of a setup that would work in the high humidity. We get lucky up here and it’s only July though half of September when it’s bad.

And thank you for providing options to use with my equipment. I’ve got time to think it through. My first order of business is prepping, staining, grain filling, and toning. Plus I have plenty of wood to practice on.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:09 pm 

Nothing special I just work for some Cabinet makers who don't spend on anything unnecessary. I started with no knowledge or preconceptions and it was basically watch and copy and learn until I got it right on the production line. It seems to be all a matter of volume and air flow and the use of a hood vent. And number one thing always wear a mask!
Sometimes when humidity is in 99 to 100 range I will have to close the door and turn off the hood vent (once this last year ) And I Hate doing it because it's a 30x 30 room with 2 pressure pots going.

We do a house set of kitchen cabinets(Vanities, kitchen and any other cabinet in the house) at a time 1 or 2 a day .
Go to a cabinet shop and ask if you can have some scrap wood even it if just ripped sticks or warped wood. It would hopefully be free and you can practice on it. I've just started getting into dying the cabinets some people call it toner which allows you to get a darker color than just stain on maple.

Most of my thoughts are from the production side but for personal use I just scale down. And for a pressure pot I got one from Harbor Freight maybe half gallon.

jason

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 6:43 pm 

fuji's are made in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I've had mine for quite awhile now, and can't say anything bad about it. It is a stage 4 model. I actually talked to the owner of the company at the manufacturing facility. If you can believe it they sell most of the unit's to places that do spray tanning :shock:
I Love mine. Make sure you get all the various end caps. The medium tip works good for doing consoles, the fine tip you can use for doing more "pin stripe" type stuff, darken trim small radio's where you don't have to really "flood" the area. The larger tip comes in handy for some spraying of heavier type finishes. I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you can afford it, the stage 3 and 4 models will allow you to do more jobs than just the stage 2. Of course that's just my 2 cents worth.
Tony

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 1:10 am 

Thanks for the info Tony!

I may give them a call to discuss a few things before buying.

If I need extra cash, I could start a spray tanning business :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:19 pm 

Hey Tbone -

Fine Woodworking did a comparison of 14 HVLP systems back in September/October of 2014. I thought it was done well. Comfort, noise, ease of adjustment and hose location were all things they considered along with spray quality and price. The title of the article was "Spray for Less". Maybe google that or look on finewoodworking dot com. If all else fails and you're still interested, I saved the pdf and could send it to you.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 12:38 am 

Thanks markg123,

That was a great article. I was leaning to the Fuji unit, and that sealed the deal. I have a call into a Mohawk Rep I know, just to see what he says. But, I am at 99% certainty right now.

Here is the article.

http://www.fujispray.com/Fine%20Woodworking%20Article%20-%20SprayforLess%202014

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 2:16 am 

Wearing a mask is indeed critical.

I know a couple of gents who made careers in cabinet finishing. Unfortunately this was before the so-called "safety Nazis" required things like proper breathing protectors, and they both now suffer from severe neurological difficulties.

Thanks for the article Tbone, good to know.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 11:28 pm 

Well the Mini Mite 3 is on the way. Ordered it for in store pickup at Home Depot. Next it will be practice, practice, practice. Plus I want to get a respirator too. This is not you typical rattle can spraying.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 12:39 am 

As far as respirators go. Get the 3M ones, they fit the best on your face. Believe me I've tried them all, I painted for a living for over 20 years. You want something that is for Organic Vapors. The simple ones that filter out just dust particles are not good enough. The cartridges are a lot more money for good reason. Make sure you try them on before you buy, I've always used the medium size and find the large too big.

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/H-3 ... tor-Medium

That is just 1 example of the large selection that 3M carries.
Tony

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 10:22 pm 

I got the large one because I have a big head.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Large-Paint-Project-Respirator-Mask-6311PA1-A/100195886

Replacement cartridges are available at HD and most paint stores.