Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil soaked case.
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 10:02 pm 

I am working on a 20's basket case radio that has seen a lot of weathering and moisture. The big problem is that the wood has been soaked with oil, probably motor oil years ago.

Any suggestions for removing the oil so the panels can be re-glued and straightened.

Thanks,

Ed.

Post subject: Re: Oil soaked case.
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:28 pm 

Here is one I found on another forum.
Quote:
Fuller's earth, rotten stone, kitty litter, tripoli and pumice all contain fine earth particles that will be absorbed by the grain of the wood and will always leave a white ring or cloud in the grain no matter how much cleaning is done. On the other hand, diatomaceous earth consists of a porous particulate that will not dissolve but is in itself hygroscopic and grease absorbent. Mixing it with naptha, which was the main solvent used for dry cleaning until the EPA got into the act, creates a slurry that first dissolves the oil, and then allows it to be absorbed by the powder.
Whether or how well this might work with something that is very oil soaked remains to be seen.

This would normally be applied to the wood and allowed to dry. Then brush off the oil soaked powder. This probably would be repeated a few times. This would definitely be an outside job. I also would suggest trying it on an oil soaked wood scrap first.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 9:43 pm 

Thanks, I will give this a try.
Ed.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 6:22 am 

I’ve used K2R spotlifter to remove oil from balsa wood of “rekitted” model model airplanes before repairing them. Also used it to remove oil from gunstocks that I was refinishing. Available on Amazon. Spray it on, let it work, brush it off and repeat as necessary.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 2:15 am 

K2R on balsa, been there. Fuel line leak. Worked very well.

Vince

Post subject: Re: Oil soaked case. Update.
PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2018 5:46 pm 

Update.

I decided to go with the diatomacious earth/naptha route. K2R sounds good for a model plane but at $8.00 a can it is a bit much for a 20's radio case.

It is hard finding items out in the country but I located an ant killer that was 100% diatomaceous earth in a reasonable quantity and price. I avoided commercial quantities and shipping costs. (I avoided same material labelled "Bed Bug Killer', I was reluctant to take it to the cashier in a small town store).

The two mixed well but separate when brushed or spread. The best method turned out to be making a thin slurry in a bottle and keeping in suspension by shaking. It can be poured out and spreads readily over the wood parts. Let it dry for 24 hours an brush the powder off. I repeated it until the wood lost its oily feel and appearance.

The finish on this radio was totally gone so the oil had soaked well into the wood. Now on to straightening warped panels and reassembly.

Ed.