Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 22, 2018 2:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The problems with Rustoleom Rattle Cans
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:49 am 

I don't know if its just me but I am about to give up on Rustoleum paint. They have a wide selection but the spray pattern is very marginal with splattering of paint and poor atomization. The last 2 cans were not even usable directly from store. Yes, I did shake the heck out of them. Then, I bought a can of metallic brass as gold metallic was a poor match but it was exactly the same as the gold paint. It looks like I will be buying Krylon from now on. Has anyone used their metallic paints? Does anyone have suggestions for better spray metallic rattle cans in other brands? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: The problems with Rustoleom Rattle Cans
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:02 am 

I'm not very good at using spray cans but just used a can of Rustoleum metallic (antique brass) to 'refurbish' my old door knocker. Biggest problem I had was layering it on too thick (had to remove it and start over) but that's my fault.

Attachment:
Door Knocker.jpg
Door Knocker.jpg [ 47.68 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:07 am 

Rustoleum and Krylon seem to fight to be the worst.

Did a metal file cabinet in grey. Bought 10 cans to get 5 that the color matched. Half were tan instead of grey.

I buy cheap dollar store paint and it works better.

I have two HVLP guns, a large and detail gun. With larger jobs, I buy the cans of paint and use the guns. Much better. It does take a long time to cure though.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 8:07 pm 

I have always had my best results with ACE Hardware brand spray paint.... Krylon and Rustoleum spray way to thick and tend to run... I loved their black lacquer but they discontinued it here at my local store... Worked great for trim work and painting sub-par bakelite cabinets that where beyond polishing...

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 9:26 pm 

IDK if it's the type of sprayer nozzle or the paint composition, but your best rattle can bet seems to be spray cans bought at an auto parts store. Here's a few of mine, and I ain't no painter, lol;

Attachments:
Coronado  43-8160, 2.JPG
Coronado 43-8160, 2.JPG [ 159.09 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 102.42 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]
Coronado (1a).jpg
Coronado (1a).jpg [ 180.16 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 11:34 pm 

Must agree with fifties but I did just paint a bad chassis with a can of Rustoleum Copper with good results. Wonder if it is an old inventory problem?? If your area has automotive only paint stores that is the place to go plus most of them will do computer matching for you.

Bruce Hagen

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:50 am 

Yes, buying an automotive spray paint is something I though I would try . I'm not sure if any of the metallic fake plating colors are available but I need to shop around. Thanks.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 6:43 am 

I have had great results using the Dupli Color from the auto parts store... Rust Oleum has stunk on ice ever since they changed to the low VOC formula.... You either have to recoat within 5 minutes, or you have to wait 5 months. (sarcasm) :roll: Anything in between, and it winds up looking like you sprayed lacquer over enamel (wrinkes galore)! Plus, it lays on so thick and heavy it sags almost immediately if you're not REEEEEEAAAAL careful, it fills in small details, and pools up in corners. I'm doing one now using Dupli Color acrylic lacquer, and it's the greatest! I accidentally bumped the case and left a mark in the tacky paint. I cursed myself out, and resigned myself to having to wet sand it and recoat it (as opposed to just a light wet sand and buff). I came back in about an hour, and the mark had flowed right out! It was absolutely gone!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 9:58 am 

Temperature seems to make a big difference. Need somewhere warm to spray, which isn't easy at the moment. I put the cans in hot water as well for 15 mins before use.

Gary