Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 9S262 - Opinions on what direction to go
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:12 am 

Hey Everybody, I picked up a Zenith 9-S-262. Electronics are back to working order and the speaker is out for re-coning but I need some advise on where to go. Specifically, what would be the best method for repairing the veneer on the sides. As for the top, I was thinking of injecting some wood glue with a syringe to get rid of the ripples... (previous owner brushed on some lacquer). It will be brought down to the bare veneer.

Opinions / Advice welcome...

PS... also have another one to do that in similar shape.

Attachments:
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG [ 29.41 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG [ 29.43 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG [ 30.26 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG [ 28.13 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 9S262 - Opinions on what direction to go
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 10:42 am 

To me it would be learn about veneering, remove the old and start over. Some will say on the ripples "squirt the white glue and clamp and it will be fine". But the veneer has stretched and even if not it doesn't always work. Yes! been there and am there now.

So a lot of time spent lacquering and some of the veneer has to come off and I hate re-work.

Gary

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:09 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKajT8rz5Q

Take a look at this video. Hopefully, it helps.

-Unknown

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:14 pm 

Maybe better with hide glue. Possibly in my case someone squirted who know what in the before me? If that was the case it could explain why PVA didn't work. But there was no bulge so don't really know. Its an OFF job now :cry:

Gary

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 1:11 pm 

I would try everything before removing completely and replacing? Can be cut out and patched, but my first attempt might be slitting any stretched bubble, pumping glue in there, clamp HARD, set and sand.If there's any slack, slitting it might allow one side to ride over another? Sand flush.

For the missing chunks, cut an oversized patch overlapping 1/16" roughly the shape of each missing portion. Coat back of patch and cabinet substrate with glue of choice, I use titebond. Thin coats. Let completely dry. Place the patch over missing portion, hold carefully and tack down with good pressure from the tip of an iron. Once it tacks, let go and carefully iron it completely down. No steam, just hot iron tip. I've had phenomenal luck with this method. Sand flush and clean. Don't try cutting away existing veneer and butting the new veneer up to it, will be incredibly obvious. When you use an oversized patch the iron shrinks the veneer patch a bit so it sets down into the missing area. Any high parts that didn't shrink into the missing space get sanded flush and it blends beautifully into the existing undamaged area. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 3:33 pm 

The downside is that you can do all that you say and think its fine. I left the cabinet I now have to re-work, in a warmish cupboard for a year and it looked good, really good, no worrying signs.

Went to all the effort of re-finishing and one year on, with the radio in a much warmer dinning room, big bubbles have now appeared.

The veneer has to come off and most likely it will end up as a complete refinish. But you maybe lucky?

Gary