Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 20, 2019 1:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley 9-102 Dial Color ?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 01, 2018 11:21 pm 

hello folks,

i am re restoring this crosley 9-102 b/c it was an absolute mess under the hood.

to no surprise, the person who restored it painted the metal dial jet black and did a runny mess of a paint job to say the least.

i stripped it down to the bare metal and i am ready to paint it.

somehow, when it was black, that color just did not look right behind the numbers.

so, my question is, what color is the metal dial plate ?

pics on the internet really did not help and i am tossed up between dark brown and black.

does anyone know ?

there is a lot of spacing between the numbers on the dial glass, so the appropriate color is important.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 6&t=344906

thanks.

steve

Attachments:
SAM_3772.JPG
SAM_3772.JPG [ 99.37 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Post subject: Re: Crosley 9-102 Dial Color ?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 03, 2018 10:58 pm 

I have one on the shelf in my basement. I will pull the chassis tonight and get you a pick.
Dave

PostPosted: Sep Tue 04, 2018 1:04 am 

So it appears to be either a faded black or charcoal grey. I cleaned the back plate and wet, it is definitely a black tone - no brown whatsoever. Also, the second pic is with my magnifier lamp - it is a very subtle crinkle paint. For an vintage look, I personally would go with a flat charcoal color and hit it lightly.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Attachments:
Crosley1.jpg
Crosley1.jpg [ 97.73 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]
Crosley2.jpg
Crosley2.jpg [ 86.27 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 04, 2018 2:38 am 

wouldn't ya know it :D ...the day i get a reply... :( .

since i needed to finish up the project today, i painted it a very dark flat brown.

i like the deep brown much better since it blends in very nicely with the tone of the cabinet. the cabinet and most of the dial is of brown/gold colors.

for whatever reason, a black tone (especially the JET black) that someone painted on it before me, looked just "not right".

the best way i could explain seeing the black in there behind the numbers would be the same as having a beautiful picture of a trail in the forest and the picture frame would be of purple color.

mine needed a new speaker. i installed a 4x6 that was from a 50L6 tube. it has nice audio from the 7B5 (6v6 loktal).

this guy needed to be done b /c i have one more project to do, which is a Detrola 572. that will be the final set for the summer. i will be closing up shop for the fall/holidays/winter for any full restorations. as it happens every year this time, i just enjoy doing other things from now to next late spring.

i will post pics when i can to this thread and my original thread about buying a restored radio.

thanks again for the efforts.

steve

PostPosted: Sep Tue 04, 2018 3:24 am 

Well, just happened to be on today and posted my need on the Sparton 537 dial glass. I saw your post with no reply and thought - I know where mine is in the basement with all the other projects. Do you have a Sparton 537? LOL.

Enjoy.
Dave

PostPosted: Sep Tue 04, 2018 3:30 am 

hi dave,

no, i have no sparton anything :cry: .

isn't it amazing how it all sometimes just does not work out ?

i guess it is why we have the word "irony".

:|

on the serious note, thanks again for your efforts.

steve