Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 27, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heathkit Keepers
PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 12:35 pm 

It is amazing what turns up. I have an OS-1 Oscilloscope that I need to have a look at as it has AC showing on the screen. At one point every cap & resistor got tossed. I also nabbed a Grid dip meter (GD-1B) with the extra coils at a swap meet & ended up, after taking one look at its insides and utility wiring, overhauling it before I dared power it. Dial is a bit worse for wear.

I also scored at a car swap, an IT-22 "Capaci-Tester". That also needed a bit of work. It needed a listed mod, it's a 220V model, I have 245V. It has a magic eye as the indicator and the thing is fussy about volts. I am tempted to shove a regulator in it instead of using the Variac: Non urgent job, if at all, as it's working.

One of the more deadly things I find, is the fitting, on many, various brands, caps from mains (utility power) to a metal case. Irrespective of what they were thinking of, it only takes that cap to be on active (hot) & fail short to create a death trap. As 99% of the tube radio's that we have & I deal with are transformer, any equipment with that non compliant with regs. setup, has the metal cabinet utility grounded.

Marc

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 1:43 am 

Concerning that capacitor, any competent restorer will use a safety cap for that one as those safety caps are designed to fail open.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 6:33 am 

We do need to continuously emphasise caps used on utility lines; mainly for newbies. These are like Wax paper caps: When line caps are found, if they do not have markings indicating that they are compliant, for use on utility power (mains) their future & need, should be assessed. After which if they are to be replaced, it should be with an approved type.

Marc

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:09 am 

hello Dale
I also use my VTVM. but mine is model IM-11 and yes I agree it does the job and it's all i need and do have a RCA one too

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:17 am 

hello guys,
I do have their vector scope and dot generator Also quad receiver too .
Heathkit made some great products in the day I remember getting their last catalog I still have it some where

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:56 am 

Marcc wrote:
We do need to continuously emphasise caps used on utility lines; mainly for newbies. These are like Wax paper caps: When line caps are found, if they do not have markings indicating that they are compliant, for use on utility power (mains) their future & need, should be assessed. After which if they are to be replaced, it should be with an approved type.

Marc

Agreed. One would hope the person doing the work is going to replace the paper caps anyways.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

It is to be noted that since the early days of the company, Heathkit equipment was designed to meet UL standards even though it could not be officially UL "listed" because assembly was done by the customer. The line bypass and line isolation capacitors in Heathkits, where used, were in keeping with the UL standards in effect when the equipment was made.

You will find that wax paper capacitors were used for these purposes in some of the early products, but they were no different than the capacitors used in most radios, TVs, and other electronic products in the postwar era. As with paper line bypass/isolation capacitors in other electronics, those in Heathkits should be replaced with modern X2 and Y2 caps if the equipment is going to be put back into service.

By the mid-1950s, UL had stopped approving plain paper capacitors for line bypass/isolation applications, and ceramic "UL capacitors" came into use in Heathkits and elsewhere. There is no reason to replace those if they are not damaged or broken; they carry the same or better ratings than modern X2 and Y2 caps and do not deteriorate over time.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 12:12 am 

hello Chris
that great point to bring up about the safety caps

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 2:22 am 

My entire TV repair shop started out as Heath with a very occasional Knightkit thrown in. As I got more "professional" most of that stuff got replaced by B&K or Sencore. I kept all my early heathkit equipment, carefully stored it, and lost it in a fire many years later. I've replaced a few items, but have gotten more into collecting and restoring tube test gear from the early Hickok era. ALthought I did pick up a few of the B&K flying spot scanners, and sweep alignment generators, that take up half a bench. Why?? I don't know ........... cuz they were there ??

I do lament actually throwing away my AR15 reciever ... almost as much as when I let my Tek 465 scope go for a song a while back. But I replaced it recently with a 454 in mint condition that I stole for $15 so maybe that turned out ok :)

For it's day, Heath made some great equipment with great features at a great price .... sufficient for a 20something to make a fair profit in the fledgling business of TV repair at the time.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 3:54 am 

Since my earlier post in this thread, I have just about completed my SB-series setup. I have acquired examples of both the SB-610 monitor scope and the SB-620 panadaptor, as well as the SB-200 linear amplifier. All I'm missing (besides the SB-30x/40x twins, SB-220/1 linear amp and SB-500 transverter, none of which I feel much of a need to own) are the SB-640 remote VFO, and the SB-650 digital frequency display. Anyway, here is a picture of the SB-200:

In addition, I may well be able to do more than just live vicariously through folks who've built these Heathkits in the past. At one of the MIT swapfests last year, I picked up an IT-11 capacitor checker which is in (mostly) unbuilt shape, and I intend to build it! :D I'm sure I'll have to replace at least some of the included capacitors, but it should be fun putting it together. 8)
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html