Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 23, 2019 9:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eico (or WHY) roll chart plastic?
PostPosted: Jun Sat 28, 2003 4:36 pm 

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the plastic 'window' for your tube tester roll chart? I have a few I'd like to change/replace, but have no idea what to do. I suppose a thin, clear Mylar would work in a pinch. Any ideas? I'd REALLY like a few for the Eico testers I have; they seem awful, whatever they used.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jun Sat 28, 2003 9:59 pm 

<BR> On some, where there is room for thickness, I've used thin plexiglass. (Scraps from local glass shop.)<P> Create the red index line(s) by scribing with a good straightedge and sharp machinist's scribe.<P> Without moving straight edge, after one or two strokes with scribe (in same direction,) follow up with a "Sharpie" brand red indelible ultra-fine-line marker.<P> One stroke of marker usually does it.<BR> Marker fills groove (line.) So, won't wear off easily.<BR> Grooved line placed toward roll chart, naturally.<P> This colors nicely, leaving a straight, even sharp line. As nice as factory, I think.<P> This works for me....<P> Den<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jun Sun 29, 2003 12:20 am 

Hobby shops sell clear plastic sheet 0f various kinds.Clear styrene is commonly available but brittle(Adding color dye to styrene is how they make it **less** brittle when they manufacturer it,as a matter of fact)and not very sturdy or scratch resistant,so I don't advocate it for your use.<BR>"Pet G" type plastic is a good choice for you and is used also for vacuum forming radio dial covers.<BR>But,if the hobby shop carries doll house suppplies,ask for K&S brand clear sheet;this is excellent for your particular purpose.It comes in three thicknesses;.030 is good for tube testers.Model builders use it for doll house windows.It is tough,and durable as clear plastics go.<BR>Cut it by scoring it 3 or 4 times with a sharp xacto blade,and,using a straight edge,snap along the score line as you would when cutting window glass.<BR>Nothing more fancy than a **good quality** transparent tape is needed to mount it in place in the tube tester.<BR>Sand the cut edge of the plastic with number 400 wet and dry paper if you want to have a perfectly smooth,clear edge,and use hand soap and water during thie sanding operation for maximum efficiency of sanding.<BR>Follow directions of Dennis Daly for scribing,marking etc.<BR>I worked Professionally with plastics as a model builder for years.<BR>Malcolm Leonard<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jun Sun 29, 2003 1:45 am 

Thank you, Malcolm. I now have something to do this long-weekend ;-)<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jun Mon 30, 2003 12:14 pm 

tubesrgood wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Jamz:<BR><B>Thank you, Malcolm. I now have something to do this long-weekend ;-)<P><BR></B><HR>
<BR>NO problem.Now,while you are at it,you might as well make up 20 or 30 extras in case anybody else needs one! :-)<BR>Malcolm<P><P>------------------<BR>