Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 20, 2018 1:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprague TO-6A, TO-6S
PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2010 3:19 am 

What is the difference between the two. Currently there is one of each offered on Ebay, but I can't see any difference comparing the two.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2010 12:59 am 

Donald, the TO-6S is a variation of the prior TO-6, not the TO-6A. It is specified for 115/230V 50Hz power. Note: 50Hz. The TO-6 and TO-6A are spec'd for 115V 50-60Hz. There was also a TO-6AS version of the TO-6A and it is also spec'd for 115/230V 50Hz.

Often >but not always< a transformer specified for 50Hz will work fine on 60Hz. Never the other way around though! Either way, the TO-6A is the later and final model and all other things being equal it is slightly more desirable. Do expect to need to rebuild either of them for good performance at least, if not operation itself. The usual BA needs and techniques apply.

Manuals for either of the two are available on BAMA. Watch for possible variations in any particular unit. Here's the faster mirror site.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/sprague/

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2010 2:05 am 

Fred, Thanks for the clarification.

Post subject: Re: Sprague TO-6A, TO-6S
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:57 pm 

I would like to ask Fred Olsen in he can look at and maybe repair my TO-6A. As I live in the milwaukee area.

Post subject: Re: Sprague TO-6A, TO-6S
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 2:28 am 

I used to do road shows that went overseas, using, at the time, slide projectors, film projectors, audio tape decks, powered speakers, automation programmers (punch tape!! lol) etc ... and had to modify them for 50Hz. The mod consisted of rewinding the power transformers and any motors with heavier wire, essentially. We did not do the rewinding... at the time there was a company in town that made transformers and did the actual dirty work. In the case of motors, a pulley change was also required to adjust for the different motor speed.

My memory of the time is the only difference is related to the possible heating in a transformer wound for 60Hz, when presented with 50Hz. So I second the "usually will work" comment if a 50Hz device is presented with 6oHz mains. Particularly for any analog equipment. The other way around, expect the power transformer to overheat rapidly.