Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2011 2:14 pm 

I have only two. Both Cardmatic 118B's w/ full card complement :D
xeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2011 2:43 pm 

The Hickok 600A will finally have company today, if UPS brings the TC 142 Mighty Mite as scheduled.

-Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2011 4:14 pm 

pred wrote:
Well having 8 should be no issue.
I have one that has something like 40 sockets for quick check, It really does go fast and Eileen will use it to run through a box of tubes, Otherwise she gets bored with the other testers. But it is limited to mostly octals and mini tubes.
Still I think at least one has to go, Maybe two if I can bear it.
Peter

The one thing about the testers with the many sockers, (I have a
B&k 747) and any well used shop or truck unit, is that often
the most used socket is worn out, or has been replaced with
something that doesnt look OEM.

As to the number of tester, as many as possible, if you can
find a use for them all apart from just hoarding them.

They are good trading cards.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2011 4:26 pm 

Fred Scoles wrote:
Based on what happened after church service a few years ago, I think I must have enough tube testers. After the Sunday service, our preacher shook my hand and to make friendly chat, he asked me "How's the tube tester and radio tube hobby going?"...I thought for a moment, but my wife quickly declared "It's slightly better than a cocaine habit !"....after that I couldn't say anything.

:roll: My wife sometimes says(not TOO frequently! But...:wink: ) about my old radios and tube audio homebrewed devices: What a damn hobby, It would be better if you even would have drink instead! :lol:
(....But honestly, some of great old radios, like Blaupunkt 8w79 (for example), their appearance she liked at once just she saw them for first time, same as she liked the sound of my favorite (or, may be, even "reference" ) half-retro amp with RCA 2A3's, that initially was made by my grand-dad approx. 60 years ago, and modifying by me later (I added the same other channel with 2x2a3/6n7/5U4 for stereo, but just only 20 years ago)
Sorry for little off, please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2011 6:43 pm 

I have so many tubes testers right now I have lost track of all of them.
Lets see: TV10, TV7DU, Seco 107C (2), Triplett, 6-8 B&K's, 4-6 Precision, 2-3 jacksons, 1 RCA cardmatic type,; my "baby" Mint Heathkit TT1, several Knight (Need a meter for the 600) and 3-4 Eico's, Beltron- for CRT's, Sencore, a Jewell, 4-6 Hickock's and who knows what else.

Also one awesome Home Brew I bought at a hamfair. Its a beauty and will test almost all receiving & low power transmitting tube.
You have to set all the operating parameters with a tube manual, and then read all of the 5 or 6 meters on it for test data.
The chap who designed and built it did a fantastic job of wiring and making the case. It weighs about 50 lbs too. Full of transformers for all the fil, plate and bias voltages.

" Break down the wall"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2011 2:12 am 

A man who owns a clock always knows the exact time.

A man who owns two clocks is never sure of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2011 2:25 am 

A man who has one clock thinks he has the right time.

A man with two clocks knows he has the wrong time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2011 2:35 am 

A man with no clocks is either retired and single, or says "Yes, Dear" frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2011 12:45 pm 

A man with any clocks better set 'em by WWV :wink:.

As for tube testers, a 1954 Weston 981 Type 3 tubechecker handles at least 75% of my tube testing requirements:

I have a supplement chart for it that makes it current through 1956 types.

It won't handle a number of the older types (24A, 45 etc), but I supplement it with a Precision 612 that will handle most of the older types. For post-1956 tubes (including novars and compactrons), I use a B&K 707 Dynajet.

For "quick-and-dirty" or "triage" testing on an incoming batch of vintage used tubes, I have a Sico TW-11 emissions tester that is quick to set up and use.

All four of these were hamfest finds, two at RARSfest and two at Shelby, during the 80's and 90's.

:wink:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2011 7:56 pm 

Larry,
I just looked at the manual, and yes, it the 981-3 does test 24a's and 45's. The only drawback for me is the universal socket for 4,5,6 and 7 pins. If it wears out you're screwed.
regards,

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 30, 2011 8:05 am 

For a quick test I use an Eico 667. For a more detailed test I use a Heathkit TT1-A. I haven't come across a tube I couldn't test between the two. I have a Precision 10-12 and an adapter for early tubes for the 667 but haven't used either in years since getting the TT1-A. I don't test early tubes often so not much of a bother to use the Heathkit. I never looked into how Eico did it but it tests VR tubes better than the Heathkit. I like test equipment but I don't see the need for myself to ever need any other tube testers. As you hear repeatedly mostly just looking for shorts and emissions Sometimes it can be a hair pulling but some times even if the tube checks good it just doesn't work in circuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 01, 2011 7:10 pm 

For snob appeal you gotta have a Hickok.

I've had two, a Precision 612 and a B&K 747B. The B&K is a very good tester, the biggest problem being it doesn't handle the older tubes. The Precision does, but is not a mutual conductance tester. But -- is this really needed on older types? Emissions testers certainly do a satisfactory job for most applications, especially AM radios. I've gotten along well with these two.

Then along came a Hickok -- a real, genuine Hickok. Just like Steve Martin when he saw his name in the phone book, "I'm SOMEBODY Now! Whoopee -- a nice clean Hickok 600A. It works, it measures micromhos, it's got the older tube sockets, and best of all it's a real HICKOK! Now I go around and tell all my friends with my nose in the air . . .

Fact remains, the Hickok IS a nice tester. It still doesn't test Compactrons, but when was the last time I tried to test a Compactron? I suppose if it ever happens, I've got the B&K to fall back on. The Precision? I use it for display; aside from that I no longer need it.

For anyone getting into the hobby, a good emissions tester can be had for little money. Heathkit had a good one, as did Eico. Knight, Philco, a number of others that test emissions will do just fine.

If you're getting serious, go for a mutual conductance tester -- or two. Hickok is good, but certainly not the only player on the field. I suggest two for two reasons -- first, I don't think you're going to find any model that handles both the old types and the newer Compactrons. Second, both can test the vast majority of them, and if you should encounter one that appears flaky for some reason (or if you have ten of the same type and they all test weak), you can always compare it with the findings of the other one and make your decision based on that.

As for 30, 100, or whatever, I guess you're a collector. But just like you don't need 35 radios to hear the news, you don't need 200 testers to determine which tubes are bad.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Jun Wed 22, 2011 10:55 pm 

ghrmn wrote:
I have a Hickok 799, Jackson 648-1, Jackson 648-A, Jackson 648, and a Hickok 560. Most of my work is on the 799. For older work, I'll pull a Jackson out. The 560 still has to be restored. Needs a control panel.

Today 6/22, I added a Jackson 658a from paybay. Paid $49.99. I like how they designed
these testers. They seem to use a higher plate voltage. An article online claims it is a modified mutual conductance tester. Made after the Hickok patents expired. I also now have a Simpson Roto-Ranger 220.

Post subject: Re: How many tube testers does one need?
PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 12:09 am 

Go ahead and shoot me! :lol: I thought this was in interesting thread and wanted to "revive" it!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 2:26 am 

I have about nine tube testers that I can find easily, and maybe the same number buried
upstairs.

With that many testers, I can obsess over whether a tube is really good, long
enough to forget about fixing the radio it came from.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 5:43 am 

If you only had one, it could be working properly or it may not, you wouldn't know.

So you buy another one, so now one is right and one is wrong, but which one?

So you have to have another one to confirm which is right and which is wrong, but what if it doesn't agree with either of them..... :wink:

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 6:20 am 

I'd be just happy with using the Jackson 648, on the bench, and on the road,
that the shop I worked at had close to 60 years ago.

Imagine fixing radios and TVs without the internet. :shock:

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 10:24 am 

I have to wonder how many times I'll answer the same question.

Mike

Last edited by Mikeinkcmo on Aug Wed 23, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 11:36 am 

The key word in the thread title is "need".

My answer from 6 years ago still stands: Zero.

Having said that, I am suffering until I get my Precision 10-12 working. I use it only for "pre-screening", but that has become ingrained in my routine.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 12:54 pm 

I also have a "Preceptor". All those lights and switches made it too hard to pass up.

My others include an NRI 69, Conar 212, B&K 707 (2), EICO 625 and an EICO 628. The 625 and 628 have been modified: the 625 for grid leakage or emission, the 628 for gm and grid current.

RRM