Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 19, 2018 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VIZ Vector (RCA) WP-30 Variac/Isolation/Current/Leakage Test
PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 5:37 pm 

I just got this VIZ WP-30 Variac with current monitor and leakage tester. It seams straight forward enough but have a couple questions about the less than self explanatory buttons.

In the variac section, you can read line voltage or variac setting voltage, but it also has a red button that says output, I press it and it doesn't do anything. Ideas?

On the amperage section, there is an amp adjust knob, going from low to high. What is this for, current limiting? why would you use this?

On the leakage test section, I believe this is to test for line cord leakage through the chassis. It has a probe input (which is missing.) this would clip on to the metal part of the chassis? and then give me a reading? Also it has a red Reset button what's that for?

I guess I just need to find the manual but if anyone has used one of these and can answer any questions I have that would be grate!

Post subject: Re: VIZ Vector (RCA) WP-30 Variac/Isolation/Current/Leakage
PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 9:34 pm 

Does the ammeter have 2 scales? The low and high would be for changing the current reading of the meter, not the output current.

The red button may be for testing leakage. Most of the leakage meters will have a resistance in series in case you have a direct connection to hot which would peg the meter. Once you know there is no high leakage condition, you press the button to get an accurate leakage reading on the equipment you are testing.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 10:26 pm 

I have one of these but I have not determined if it is a true isolation device. Meaning is the neutral not connected

to the chassis. I have not taken it apart yet. Mine came from the maintenance dept of a hospitol.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2012 5:41 pm 

:idea: I don't know how much interest there is in this subject now, the original post being almost a year old. I am also looking for a technical manual for the Viz WP-30 Iso-V-AC II. If anyone has had any luck tracking this manual down, I would dearly love to have a photocopy of it.

It is indeed an isolation device. I have one open on my bench right now, and there is clearly a discrete isolation transformer inside, mounted just aft of the Variac. I would guess that the transformer is rated for 500 VA or so, since the current meter goes up to 5 amps. There is a narrow circuit board laying flat between the Variac and the front panel. The board is populated with numerous discrete parts including three adjustable resistors. Two of them are small trim-pots, and the third is a larger (1/2W?) shaftless pot which is mounted face-down on the board and is adjustable from it's back side with a Phillips screwdriver. So far, I have not been able to figure out just exactly what all of these pots do, except for R121 which is one of the little trim-pots. R121 adjusts the leakage current indication. Adjust R121 as follows:

Connect ISO OUTPUT to an AC voltmeter
Set the OUTPUT to 0 volts (fully CCW)
Set METER switch to LEAKAGE
Set LEAKAGE HOT/COM switch to HOT*
Set a decade resistor to 57,500 ohms
Connect the decade resistor across the PROBE jack and any neutral (white wire) connection
Set the output to 115 VAC
Adjust R121 for 2 mA indication

*The PROBE jack is HOT when this switch is pushed in. The PROBE jack is NEUTRAL when this switch is released.

The other two adjustable resistors inside the WP-30 are R109 and R127. R127 is the larger of the two. I'm not sure at this point just what they do, but they do not seem to have any effect on the voltmeter or ammeter indication. I suspect they are threshold adjustments for the current limiting feature, which disables the output voltage and illuminates an "overload" indicator.

When I learn more, I will post my findings. I SURE WISH I HAD A MANUAL FOR THIS THING!!!!

-E.C.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2016 11:01 pm 

I have one of these also. The current meter doesn't work, the circuit board has been tampered with.
I don't know if this one run is jumpered or not. Someone messed with it. I wish I had a bottom
picture of the circuit board. Can someone send or post circuit layout of the pcb. Still need schematic.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2016 11:05 pm 

+1

I recently acquired one of these and would like to have that information as well.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 1:35 pm 

Don't have info on the WP-30, but do know about the very similar Sencore PR-57A. The leakage test function is what was called the "UL Leakage Test," which was introduced around 1984 or so. Repair shops were supposed to do this on customers' equipment before returning it to verify that the repair work had not compromised the integrity of the isolation originally built into the products. It was kind of moot because by the time it came on the scene, TVs had become so reliable and inexpensive that most ran for years without repair, and when they did break down they were simply replaced with new sets. Repair shops were going out of business left and right.

Anyway, the leakage test in the WP-30 and PR-57 was meant to be done to any exposed metal or metal plated surfaces or features on the outside of an appliance after all repairs were completed and the item was fully reassembled. Most antique radio chassis will show excessive leakage when tested this way because they were never built to meet the 1980s standards. The probe in the PR-57 had a resistor in series with the tip to protect the leakage test circuit in case you hit something that was live to one side of the line. A button in the probe shorted the resistor out so you could take readings once you knew nothing was "hot." Perhaps one of the mystery buttons on the WP-30 served a similar purpose.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2016 11:09 am 

Hello,
Did anyone find a schematic & service manual for the, Vector- viz WP 30 Monitor ISO-V-AC-II?

Thank you,
Fino

PostPosted: Aug Thu 18, 2016 9:31 pm 

I have one but need to get myself to finding it & post it here. I have the 10 amp model WP-32

PostPosted: Aug Thu 18, 2016 10:09 pm 

Mars wrote:
I have one but need to get myself to finding it & post it here. I have the 10 amp model WP-32

It would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a lot of posts going back a few years from people looking for this information.

Regards,
Geoff

PostPosted: Aug Thu 18, 2016 10:43 pm 

Thanks everyone for trying to find a schematic or service manual!!!

PostPosted: Aug Sun 21, 2016 6:47 pm 

Hello again,
I tried to buy the Vector- viz WP 30 Monitor ISO-V-AC-II and the deal fell through!!!

Does anyone have this meter to sell me?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 03, 2016 1:47 pm 

Hello again,
Good news, I just bought one!!!

All I need is a schematic & manual!!!

Thank you for any help.
Fino

PostPosted: Sep Mon 12, 2016 9:48 pm 

I'm still searching the shop for a schematic - haven't found it yet but I know one is lurking around.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 12, 2016 9:55 pm 

Hi Mars,
I am new at this and it would be a great help to have it. Let me know how we can work something out for it.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 16, 2016 9:54 pm 

I spent a half hour searching for it and still hidden somewhere- I know I have a diagram lurking about.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 16, 2016 10:47 pm 

Mars, I will take care of you for finding it. I recently bought Qty-3 of 5 drawer file cabinets full of drawings and schematics I will never use. I am sure we can work something out.

Thank you, I really like the Vector.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 2:59 pm 

Has anyone have a Owners Manual & Schematic for this?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 8:17 pm 

I have been trying to get the schematic for the instrument for a year now. I ran across a man in the forum fro 2012
that said he has it. He is N2LXM in the forum but haven't heard back from him. He said he has it in PDF format and to
send him your email address to get it. we have to try again. If anyone can get a hold of him let me know. I need it to
fix my test instrument. and calibrate it.Thank to anybody that replies.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 9:02 pm 

+1