Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 23, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Needed service information for a Seco model 1000 / 3000
PostPosted: Mar Sun 24, 2013 4:17 am 

Hello,
Does anybody have any service information for a Seco model 1000 / 3000 "drug store type" tube tester ! I purchased one yesterday , it appears it is trying to work after sitting for many years , a schematic would be very helpful ! Thanks Lee Petrie, Joliet,IL.

Post subject: Re: Needed service information for a Seco model 1000 / 3000
PostPosted: Mar Sun 24, 2013 8:48 pm 

I've been searching for Seco service manuals for over 10 years so I could scan them and post them for everyone. Never found any.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 25, 2013 12:17 am 

Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for your fast reply, IF I happen to find out any information, I'll be sure to pass it along, in your direction ! I'm going to try a post on both Nostalgia Air & Philco phorum, I wonder how many years they made the "drug store" type testers ? It appears it has some hope for life , maybe change the filters & condersers out, to protect what life remains, hopefully they have values on them ( with NO schematics in hand ) !
Thanks again, Lee Petrie , Joliet, IL.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 26, 2013 1:43 pm 

do a web search for a seco 107. it will probably say tube test chart but among the
pages is a schematic.it will probably be close to the tester you have.
steve

PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2013 4:28 pm 

Thanks for your reply, Steve R. , I'm been looking for that Model 107 "schematic" with no success so far ! Looked in BAMA , then looked in Daiigo ? ( they talked about Free Seco Model 107 manuals, but that was a real disaster ) but no luck so far ! I changed the filter cap out yesterday, along with the selenium ( exchanging it with a RS diode , as well as the resistor, to offset the voltage difference ) ! I did discover a "line adjusting pot , directly below socket #82, maybe I didn't need to change the resistor after-all ! So far it is very close to working corectly !
Thanks again for your help, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2013 4:46 pm 

the seco 107 manual w/schematic is here.i don't think it will be exact but its as close as you'll
find.you will probably have to trace out the chassis & compare it to the 107 schematic.
steve

try the dogpile search engine http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl.t5.2/search/home

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren ... eco107.pdf

PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2013 6:35 pm 

Hi Steve R. Three great "hits in a row" ! Found the Seco schematics , found "dogpile" ( first time I used it ) and then finally, the "official name for the tube tester design , " prewired tester, very few switches , and a lot of tube sockets " , the wiring underneath looks like a phone company switch panel, with all of the neatly routed small wires !
Thanks again for your help, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

PostPosted: Mar Sat 30, 2013 1:59 am 

Hi Lee,

I have a U-Test-M drugstore tester with a Seco 1050 built in. A fair amount of detective work was needed just to find the model information and I was never able to find schematics. I restored the electronics without any service data as the tester design is intuitive. Still, I enjoy having documentation on-hand and was unable to find schematics on Dogpile. Could you send me the link?

Best,
Shawn

PostPosted: Mar Sat 30, 2013 3:42 am 

Hi Shawn
Thanks for joining the "blog" ! Steve R. 's reference was to a Seco Model 107 , he figured it was not the same, but close enough to be of value ! I've got a couple of inqires out their to try and find both the schematics and tube charts for the Model 1000 / 3000, IF they come through , I'll pass the information along !
Anyway, here is how I found the Seco Model 107 schematics : At Dogpile, type in Seco Model 107 tube tester , then go down to 7A/Seco107 , down load that information, which includes the schematics for the model 107 !
DO NOT USE THE "Diigo site" , IT APPEARS THAT SOME "UNWANTED MATERIALS" WILL BE DOWN LOAD their ! ( s_ x manuals , I just wanted the "Drug Store Model")
If I found out any extra goodies about the "Drug store" model , I'll post it ! Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

PostPosted: Mar Sat 30, 2013 12:07 pm 

Oops, I mis-read the post. To no avail, I've been looking all over for my documentation of that machine. The longer I thought about it, I recalled that I did draw a schematic. Among my ~80 gigabytes of schematics and notes, it seems to be the only thing missing. It is similar to the 107 although I find the widely available copy difficult to read. I replaced some electrolytics as well as a 5K, 10W resistor. The original might have been 7W. Despite what so many critics say, the tester is surprisingly reliable and it makes large batch screening (before the more exhaustive tests) a breeze.

-Shawn

PostPosted: Mar Sat 30, 2013 12:10 pm 

Oh, and I do have the heavy-duty roll chart. Let me know if you'd like me to scan it for you.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 1:41 am 

Hi Shawn, A tube chart copy would be nice, but unfortunately my Model 1000 / 3000 is NOT a roll chart but seperate pages in metal frames , much like a " Book Format" ! I was thinking about having them copied at an Office Max ,maybe they could get rid of the "water stains", but I think the pages are longer than "legal size" ! How did that "link" on Dogpile, work out, for the Seco Model 107 ? Lee Petrie

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 5:23 am 

The schematic for the SECO 107C model is printed inside the setup book on the inside of the back cover.
Mine is printed so small it is illegible.

That being said, the 107C tester has an awesome leakage and grid emission test. I found problem TV tuner tubes with it that none of my other testers could find.

Rocket surgeon and brain scientist

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hi FrankB, Thanks for joining the Seco chat ! Maybe I should keep my "eye open" for one of those Seco 107C testers , I probably got 10 different brands of tube testers around the house/shop now , but if there is anything that would make "hobby easier" and a faster location of the radio & amp problems , I'm game ! Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2013 6:56 am 

I found it especially accurate on grid emission in TV tuner tubes.
I also love the eye tube shorts test. For me, its much easier to see the eye flip closed that to see a neon bulb "blip" quickly.

Rocket surgeon and brain scientist

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2013 5:18 am 

Though my tester works very well, this data search has become a bit of a personal obsession. I contacted "SECO Electronics" which is located in Canada and though they make test equipment, they assert that they are not the same company. I'm going to draw schematics so there's some form of documentation available for these testers. Meanwhile, I scanned the roll chart and turned it into a six-page pdf. If anybody would like a copy, feel free to PM.

Shawn

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2013 7:09 pm 

Hi Shawn,
You said your tester was a different model than mine, which is a 1000 / 3000 , do you think it would have the same "set-up" information ? How much are you asking for your troubles , in getting the pages copied and in my direction ? Maybe , laminated at this end, would be far easier to read, than the current "flip chart" (like a book format) towards the rear of my unit) ! Thanks for your help, Lee

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2013 8:08 pm 

Hi Lee,

I have the roll chart scans in a pdf file which I can email to you and you can print however you like. I'm not looking for anything in return. I enjoy contributing.

Regarding models and differences between them, I suspect the manufacturer made many changes on the fly. Mine says Model # 1050 BSL. The data chart says 1174. Nowhere on my machine does it say "SECO". I deduced the origin based on the meter face and the red pin-straighteners. I know they made a 1000 and an 1100 which look very much like mine. The circuit is very close to the model 78, 88, 107, etc. Component date codes suggest that mine was a 1965 model.

I made a YouTube video giving an overview of my U-Test-M. If you'd like to see it, copy and paste this link: http://youtu.be/g_NA9_fhMds. Also on my channel is an in-depth overview of a custom tube tester that I built. More tutorial videos will be added when I find time.

-Shawn

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2013 10:15 pm 

Hi Shawn,
That U Tube video was "JUST GREAT" ! Thanks for sharing your "TREASURE" with the world, looks very simular to the 1000 / 3000 , except for a few changes ! I would appreciate those tube charts on a PDF file, then I can sort it out at this end ! I too have the lower cabinet , it's out in my enclosed trailer for storage ! To change the subject, over the years I collected quite a few Factory radio repair manuals, if I could share any of my information, please, just ask !
Lee , Joliet, IL. lee_mar_petrie@yahoo.com