Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 24, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Identifying 1970s-1980s Lab Test Equipment
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 9:10 pm 

Hello again!

I'm trying to identify this "stand" piece. I'm not familiar with any of this equipment myself but it is assumed that what we are looking at might be related to lab test equipment. It is from a film that was shot in 1985 in the UK. These were used as set dressing in a scientific medical lab, as well as a scifi vehicle. It is similar in appearance to a lab jack, and it appears to possibly be motorized (we can see black straight cable and black curly cable coming from it)

Attachment:
Metal Stand Collage.jpg
Metal Stand Collage.jpg [ 215.57 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Identifying 1970s-1980s Lab Test Equipment
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 9:29 pm 

Looks like a trash compacter.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 12:02 am 

That is a Liquid Plasma Dispersion Containment Tank

PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2017 5:20 am 

The top left view is upsidedown. Not that it helps me ID the darn thing!
-Ed

PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2017 6:16 am 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
The top left view is upsidedown. Not that it helps me ID the darn thing!
-Ed

Yes, you are correct. That one was mounted overhead.

It appears to have valve styled knobs on two sides. It is also possible that the 2 circular shapes on the inside may be gauges? It has a black curly cable which might lead to a control or remote of some kind?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 8:08 pm 

I'm still looking to identify what this is, or at least a fresh lead to chase :)

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 12:22 pm 

I am going to go with "A semi-automatic precision paint can shaker"

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 4:00 pm 

I'm assuming that most of you are trying to be funny, however I'm not up for the jokes. I understand that you have little to go on, but it's frustrating that no matter which way I look at these images, I'm not getting anywhere. I get that this item may not even be test equipment related, but I'd deeply appreciate serious suggestions going forward as it's disheartening to receive reply notifications to find off the wall remarks instead of genuine suggestions.

I apologize if I seem a poor sport, but I've been struggling to get this identified for the better part of a year now.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 4:45 pm 

Speaking for myself only, if I knew what it was, I'd be happy to share. My guess is that sentiment is shared by all. In the absence of my knowing what your mystery device is, a little humor seemed to be rather harmless. I am going to stick with that opinion :lol: and I did try and research it a bit myself first. Lighten up :) .... we don't get paid here.............

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 6:28 pm 

If you know what film the stills are from, you'd probably have a better chance tracking down somebody from the production company or studio who might be able to shed some light on where the image came from. I don't know the film or the device, but I have worked in a few labs and can tell you that equipment like that is very often built as needed by the technicians in the lab. Most large labs have machine shops and mechanics whose job it is to fashion custom fixtures and devices, and keep them running. That looks like somebody obtained a commercial motorized tilt or lift mechanism (if that's what it is) and made up the rest of the framing themselves. You may be looking at the only device exactly like that which ever existed.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 6:47 pm 

Chris108 wrote:
If you know what film the stills are from, you'd probably have a better chance tracking down somebody from the production company or studio who might be able to shed some light on where the image came from. I don't know the film or the device, but I have worked in a few labs and can tell you that equipment like that is very often built as needed by the technicians in the lab. Most large labs have machine shops and mechanics whose job it is to fashion custom fixtures and devices, and keep them running. That looks like somebody obtained a commercial motorized tilt or lift mechanism (if that's what it is) and made up the rest of the framing themselves. You may be looking at the only device exactly like that which ever existed.

Thanks for the input Chris. I've tried to contact people who worked on the set but have had no luck. The main barrier is the set dressers took A LOT of test equipment units and disassembled them, and frankensteined new units from them (various "Schlumberger" units). We've received a suggestion that it may even be the internals of a stereoscopic slide projector (as the set dressers used a lot of film and photo equipment as well) but one can't argue this object's similarities to a motorized lab jack.