Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Sit on shelf or find new owner
Poll ended at Dec Tue 12, 2017 8:57 am
1) leave equipment on shelf after all it is highly sentimental  53%  [ 8 ]
2) find them a new owner. I'm sure someone will cherish them as he did right?  47%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: HELP have grandfather's equipment
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 8:57 am 

I really need help. I acquired some of my grandfather's belongings he was 93 so you see some are quite old. I was gonna keep them on shelf but don't want them to waste away. He took very good care of things so just for starters I'm looking at Knight VTVM 38k185 and a EICO model 232 peak to peak VTVM. What should I do with them????? them sit on a shelf or find a reliable person who will cherish them as he did :?

Post subject: Re: HELP have grandfather's equipment
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 2:41 pm 

If the test equipment has sentimental value to you, then keep it as you're not looking at very much money if you decide to sell the items. If you do decide to sell the equipment, then either list it here in the classified section or you can try EBAY. Harry

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 3:24 pm 

The two pieces you mentioned are not rare or highly collectible. Another Eico 232 recently sold in a flea market near here for $1.00 buck in restored, perfect working order and I know that for a fact because I'm the one who bought it! Clearly your grandfather's instruments have more sentimental value to you, otherwise you would not have asked the question.

Just be aware that most meters that measure resistance, like VTVMs and VOMs, contain batteries. The instruments should be opened (unplugged from the wall of course) and the batteries should be removed if you want to keep the meters from wasting away. The batteries are often soldered in, so you may need to cut the wires where they are soldered to the batteries to get them out. Other than that, just keeping them in a reasonable indoor environment--no direct sunlight, or excessive heat or humidity will keep them in good shape indefinitely. Also, if you come across any manuals or accessories like test leads or probes, it would be best to keep them with the instruments as they will enhance the value if you decide to sell them in the future.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 4:16 pm 

My advice would be to find someone local just starting out in the radio hobby and see if he/she would be interested in the test equipment.

if there's any radios in good working order perhaps keep those that mean a lot to you.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 6:36 pm 

I agree with those 2 items if you want to have some memories then keep them.. If not then it would be nice to see them go to a young new collector but they are a rare breed. Likely they would wind up in the hands of an eBay flipper :x List the other items you have and best if you had some pictures.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 6:39 am 

Why don't you take up antique radio work and put them to use. There are many ways to learn (and we can help). It's fun.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 4:53 pm 

If you keep the equipment for sentimental reasons, you can still decide to sell or donate it at a later time. It's value will not decrease, and may increase because it will be older. In the past I have donated sentimental items that I regretted later on.