Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of a new CRT for an HP 141T?
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 5:17 pm 

What's a new-in-box HP 141T CRT worth? I don't know the exact part number yet.

I see a few have sold on eBay for $50 to $100, plus $20 to $40 shipping. Sphere has a late production one listed for $275.

I picked up an as-is 141T from a fellow for $80. He's asking $175 for the CRT and a set of manuals. I'd have to dig pretty deep for that kind of money. What do you guys think - is it worth it?

Post subject: Re: Value of a new CRT for an HP 141T?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 2:52 pm 

Quote:
... and a set of manuals...
Manuals for all FIVE plug-ins and the mainframe, would be worth it IMHO.

I just missed out on a new in box CRT for a hundred bucks, and to me, your guy's deal doesn't seem out of line.

The manuals, a VOM, and some contact cleaner and you're set for about 99% of the problems these great old work horses will ever give you.

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 4:11 pm 

On the surface, I would NOT take the deal. But, several key facts are missing, which would change my mind..

WHAT manuals are included? i have paid more for the correct printed manuals (serial numbers correct) for some test gear than I had paid for the equipment. If you are getting manuals for the mainframe, IF and RF sections, and other accessory pieces that are with the unit, then the deal is becoming sweeter. The mainframe manual alone is rather common, however.

What is the condition of the CRT in the mainframe you own? How much are you going to use the instrument? I have a spare in storage (two were given to me) and three in service in the shop. I suspect the CRT's will outlive me, since I rarely use the instruments.

Is the CRT being sold NIB, or used? In either event carefully examine the HV ribbon cable that runs the length of the CRT body for delamination! It can be repaired, but for that price it shouldn't be your problem if it exists.

You will have to decide on how the shipping savings add value. The CRT alone is not heavy, and the manuals can always go media rate.

Good luck! They are beasts, but with the tracking generators and other toys they can do a lot of serious work.

Pete

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 7:16 pm 

The CRT is NIB. I don't yet know what manuals he has found. The 141T doesn't have a trace, and nothing shows up with the beamfinder, so I don't know the condition of the CRT, but this 141T looks like it had heavy use. I read something about some of the 141T CRTs being poisoned by outgassing from internal epoxy.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 8:32 pm 

Hi Steve,

You have probably seen this link, I think I got it from the EEVblog forum:
http://sebholzapfel.com/lcd-upgrade-for-the-hp-141t-spectrum-analyzer-part-1/

While it is not an authentic restoration, it is relatively cheap, and could be fun to play with it!

Regards, Peter

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 2:03 pm 

I'd tend to agree that if it is the full manual set that came with the equipment--or at least matches the serial numbers--it is worth serious consideration. The 141T series of devices (mainframe and various plug-ins) was in production a long time and there were changes along the way. Bear in mind that HP published condensed operators' manuals and full manuals with service info as well as operating instructions; the operators' manuals do not contain schematics or internal adjustment procedures so they are not worth as much as the full manuals.

Regarding the CRT, yes a spare is nice to have, but buying one right off the bat may be putting the cart before the horse. I've run into no-trace problems with my 141T and it has not been the CRT, it's been power supply related. Once, re-seating everything fixed it; another time I found a bad cap on the HV generator board. I'd get the system running and make sure you have no other problems to deal with, then when a good deal comes along on a spare, go for it.

The 141T is a real landmark of technology; in its day there was nothing else that came close. It does have some limitations compared to modern spectrum analyzers; less dynamic range, higher noise floor, and there is no CPU or software to assist you. But it is capable of some pretty amazing stuff if you take the time to learn how to best use it.

Thomas A. Edison