Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit TT-1 Tube Tester
PostPosted: Dec Tue 09, 2003 9:13 pm 

I picked up a Heathkit TT-1 with its TTA-1-1 Adapter in the lid. I am not familiar with this model tube tester. I have found only limited information about it via a Google search. It appears to be functioning fine. I am guessing it is circa 1960s. <P>There are no 4 pin tube setting on the roll chart - is it capable of testing 1920s 4-pin tubes? If so, where do I get the settings?<P>In a general description reply: is it a good tester? How much do these go for? <P>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.<P>BR,<P>Terry<BR><P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: Dec Tue 09, 2003 9:19 pm 

Yes, Yes, and lots of $$. Chris can tell you more, as he has restored a number of them including mine.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 10, 2003 3:21 am 

Terry<P>Some information is available on this site <A HREF="http://bama.sbc.edu/" TARGET=_blank>http://bama.sbc.edu/</A> <P>under the Heath heading. They have a partial manual and additional test settings.<P>------------------<BR>Ken

PostPosted: Dec Wed 10, 2003 3:26 am 

These are great tube testers and fetch about double or triple what they did a few years back. Pricing is in the $200-500 range now depending on if the unit is rebuilt or not. The TT1A is an excellent tester that does nearly all things well. It will test virtually all tubes, from the oldest to the newest. There are very few testers that have the multi-signal, multi-plate voltage capabilities of the TT1. Add to this the excellent grid leakage test and metered inter-element leakage tests and you have a superior tester. The roll chart data is available in book form and this includes both the old and new tubes. This data is available from manual people on the web.<P>Don't even think of using your TT1 until you have completely rebuilt it and changed all electrolytic caps. I don't care if it seems to be working now or not. Unlike Hickok testers, there are many high voltage filter caps in the TT1A. Almost every single machine will have a bad one or two. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 10, 2003 6:41 am 

Thanks for all of the replies....<P>Chris:<P>How would you rate this tester against the Hickoks and TV- series of military testers? Per Alan's comment, do you restore these? If so, please reply via private e-mail with your rates.<P>Thanks,<P>Terry<P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 10, 2003 3:47 pm 

When it comes to testing tubes, the TT1A outperforms the military TV7 and TV10 in virtually every area. It will also test a wider range of tubes with the adapter in the lid. <P>The military stuff is VERY well made, and the quality of the switches and other parts far exceeds that of the Heath. In addition, the military testers enjoy somewhat of an international reputation, and the results obtained on them are widely repected.<BR>My belief is also that the set-up data for the military testers may be more accurate. I have found some set-ups for the Heath that needed to be modified, and think they relied upon another company for their data and chart printing.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2003 11:28 am 

The TT1 is an awsome machine.<BR>I bought mine as an unassembled kit from an estate for 25.00 about 25 years ago.<BR> I did replace all the electrolytics as I assembled it, as they were 10 years old at the time.<BR> It is my favorite next to my TV7DU, and will test many tubes the TV7 will not.<P> Do you need a copy of the "obselete" listings?<P> The only thing I do not like about it is the "bathtub" type ac input socket kept pulling apart, until I JB-Welded the snot out of it to hold it together.<BR> I have found it to be pretty accurate. I did note one poster mentioned some of the tube data was incorrect. This info would be of interest to me.<BR>I do wish there was a newer listing for the tubes available, but have not been able to find one. When I put mine together, I ordered the newest one Heath had for it.<BR> It was probably one of the last listings to be done by them.<BR>FrankB<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2003 6:17 pm 

I have an extra copy of a listing marked "1176" and dated 1982, yours for the postage cost if you want it. Email me at adouglas at gis.net<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2003 9:07 pm 

I have two TT1-a's and a third for parts. (The meter is in the ditch) <BR>A couple of mods I made to the TT1-A's are installing a IEC receptacle in place of the "TV patch cord" socket and a magnoval tube socket in the lid assembly.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Walters

PostPosted: Jan Sat 31, 2004 9:38 pm 

Ken:<P>Thanks for the URL, it is very helpful.<P>FrankB:<P>I would like to get a copy of the obsolete settings?<P>Chris:<P>I am going to try the recap myself...wish me luck.<P>Alan:<P>I would appreciate the extra copy of the listing marked "1176". I will e-mail you for details.<P>Thanks to all,<P>Terry<P>------------------<P>

PostPosted: Feb Sun 01, 2004 11:33 am 

Terry<P>You did not said if you have the manual's. If you need them I have all of them as PDF files that I made plus a booklet on CAL of the unit pages only from the building manual. <P>The silicon diode rectifiers 57-27 that Heathkit used need to be replace also.<BR>They are noise and like to short. Replace them new 1N4007 or better diodes,today diode<BR>much better than a diode 10 years old. <BR> The 3-section 125 volts AC cap is most good, all the other replaced.<P>Jimmie<P><BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sun 01, 2004 7:55 pm 

Jimmie:<P>I do not have any of the manuals.<P>BR,<P>Terry<P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: Feb Mon 02, 2004 5:32 pm 

lpd:<P>Thanks! Great site....<P>BR,<P>Terry<P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: Feb Mon 02, 2004 9:32 pm 

Dummy question: how do you use this translation service? Where do you start? Do you need to know the URL first?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Tue 03, 2004 2:03 am 

Hi Alan,<P>Any time you find a page using Google that's in any language other than your default, there is a link next to it that says "Translate this page". I don't know how you would use it on an arbitrary page from a source other than their hits list.<P>------------------<BR>73 de Leigh W3NLB<BR> <A HREF="http://www.AtwaterKent.info" TARGET=_blank>http://www.AtwaterKent.info</A>

Post subject: Re: Heathkit TT-1 Tube Tester
PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 9:01 pm 

I have a Heathkit Tube Tester TT-1 and am wondering how much it might be worth. It was my grandfather's who was a ham radio person and collected tons of stuff. This is in it's original black box with manual - I think it works and I'm sure it wasn't rebuilt. Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Heathkit TT-1 Tube Tester
PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 6:08 pm 

Post some pictures, and we can advise you further.