Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 13, 2018 4:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: tele-ohmike to-6A repair questions
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 11:10 pm 

Recently pick up a tele-ohmike to-6A, I could check capacitance seems to work fine. As for Leakage Current test, can not adjust the voltage, needle goes all the way up the scale until I let go of button F. Is there some out there that had this problem before and Know how to fix it. Please help.

PS. I have the manual for it, but I am new to this type of circuit.

Post subject: Re: tele-ohmike to-6A repair questions
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:11 am 

Hi torres1016 and welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on finding a TO-6A. This is the last generation and the very best of the Sprague Tel-Ohmikes. But it is now several decades old; internal components have aged and possibly failed or drifted in value, and unless it has already been restored you will need to do some work on it before you can expect it to deliver accurate results. Basically the same work as with any antique radio: Replacement of electrolytic filter capacitors, any out-of-spec resistors, possibly the bridge film capacitors, cleaning of switches, pots and mechanical contacts, etc., followed by a calibration. There are several older threads here in the ARF which can guide you in this process, which you can view via the "Search" feature above. The same methods of restoration of the Sprague TO-4, TO-5 and TO-6 TelOhmikes will also apply to your TO-6A.

Post subject: Re: tele-ohmike to-6A repair questions
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:32 am 

TO-6A...
Excellent instrument. I have one.

Be VERY careful when working on or using this instrument.
There are high voltages present, much higher than you find in a regular radio.

As with any repair, your replacement capacitors should always have a voltage rating equal to or greater than that of the original caps. Use only high-quality parts, not imports.

- Leigh