Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 22, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Requestin Sencore PS43 Information, Schematic, Etc.
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 10:20 pm 

Hello,

I've searched everywhere I can think of, now asking for your help in getting a schematic and a component parts list for a Sencore PS43 Porta-Pak (battery eliminator). I'll appreciate any information you can send, even a photo of the interior and the transistor's part number would be helpful.

I picked up a burned out Sencore PS43 the other day that doesn't work on batteries or on wall power. I took it apart and found an overheated point-to-point pc board and sticky remnants of something that didn't come from a resistor, diode, or transistor. All of the discreet components, one NPN and a bunch of diodes and resistors, were in good shape, so I'm guessing someone before me did their best with a 900W soldering gun. (Maybe replacing burnt components with whatever they had on hand?) The transformer appears to be in good condition. I get different voltage readings from the secondary side that goes to the PC board, for what that's worth...

Anyway, I've spent a long time searching and have decided I'm looking in the wrong places so need your help please. It's odd that all I'm finding are a few photos showing the front panel. It would be very surprising if the PS43 turned out to be a rare piece of equipment.

Please let me know if I should have posted this request elsewhere so I can delete this and put it where it belongs.
(xposted on EEVblog)

Don

Post subject: Re: Requestin Sencore PS43 Information, Schematic, Etc.
PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2018 2:25 pm 

Hello again,

I wanted to update this post in case someone else is having similar problems with a Sencore PS43. (Still no happy ending here.)

Barry/Audioauthority7 over on EEVblog helped a lot by providing a part number for the transistor, it's a 2N3904--thanks again.

Anyway, I replaced the transistor and all diodes, then replaced the resistors because a couple were out of spec. Still no joy in getting an output of any kind, even using batteries. This thing looks so simple, something most anyone should easily be able to figure out. Obviously not... Heck, I'd buy a schematic if I could find one available from a reputable source, no problem. Guess it's time to salvage what I can and trash the rest.

Thanks again for the help.,
Don

PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2018 5:20 pm 

Tried this?

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php ... d-servicer

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 12:35 am 

Thanks, I don't recall seeing that site, guessing I saw it and mentally put it into the spam file along with the zillion other keyword baiting sites.

I'll go for it. Hoping it turns my $20(?) box into something worth the $40+ I have in it so far...
In for a dollar, etc.

Thanks again for the link, I appreciate your time, too.

Don

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 1:19 pm 

When all else fails, draw your own schematic. Sometimes it's faster than trying to find one :)

You might have to guess on things like transformer windings, but at least you will see a picture of most of the instrument and might make the guesses for the rest easier

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 9:46 pm 

Good suggestion, there aren't many different components, so it should be easy...for most people in this hobby, anyway.

There's a mess of wiring hidden under the battery compartment, and acccess to the rear of the front panel is going to be a bear. Another problem is with identifying the components. I want to know their proper part numbers, trouble is, all of the components appear to have overheated. Another oddity is a sticky substance under the pcb that normally doesn't come from diodes, resistors and a transistor. Nothing appears to be missing, but having a transformer of some kind in there would seem to make sense. No mounting place for one, from what I can tell.

So thanks, but with my low confidence and lack of luck in similar endeavors, I'm hoping that having the schematic will be what I need.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 11:05 pm 

jbrill1976 wrote:

Hi,

I bought the manual...and that's all it was, no schematic. Not your fault at all--I'll keep looking, thanks again.

Bud

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2018 2:56 am 

twenty4pack wrote:
Another problem is with identifying the components. I want to know their proper part numbers, trouble is, all of the components appear to have overheated.

I fear your chances of getting parts from Sencore for this unit are between slim and none. Having OEM part numbers aren't going to help much. If all you need are component values to rebuild a FUBAR unit, then the schemo should suffice, no?

I've seen these on eBay periodically, so perhaps you can score another one and get yours restored from taking a peek into the 2nd unit.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2018 3:32 am 

Yep, you're right, and that's my plan - thanks.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2018 3:12 pm 

That's a tough one. None of my usual sources has the schemo. :|