Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heathkit VTVM V-6
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 7:23 pm 

Greetings forum and Mikekent,
This is off topic but---Did Gary Clark pass away?? I know he's not on eBay anymore. I too have been restoring VTVMs---He was the best I've seen so far. really liked the battery elimination circuit.
Jim

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 8:03 pm 

Can you post a pic of the 2 KV cap? If it's a mylar type then no need to replace it.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 12:08 am 

I'd suggest using a Switchcraft 1/4" phone plug for the DC test cable instead of one of the newer Asian versions with the black plastic insulator. The Switchcraft plugs have what appears to be a fiberglas insulator at the tip; I suspect it would be safer at higher voltages.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 4:15 am 

The phone plugs that came with these meters had an insulating band at the tip that was much wider than the one in a standard audio plug. I don't if there was a special name for these?

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:41 am 

Greetings to RRM and the Forum:

RRM writes:

Quote:
The phone plugs that came with these meters had an insulating band at the tip that was much wider than the one in a standard audio plug. I don't if there was a special name for these?

You are quite correct.... I have one of these plugs.... but I doubt that they are available any more. It might be possible to disassemble a stereo plug and replace the ring connector with an insulator.... but for low voltages, I don't think it would be worth the trouble.

BTW, here is a photo of my uni-probe prototype. The slot for the switch actuator is larger than I wanted it; I will have to build some jigs to make it smaller and neater. I ran out of tape for my Dymo label-making machine, so only one switch function is labeled. I tested it when complete with my Biddle megger and it withstands 500 volts. The switch frame and the screws are grounded.

Attachment:
Uni-Probe Prototype CR.JPG
Uni-Probe Prototype CR.JPG [ 34.03 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]

Also, I remember someone posting a photo of the probe tip mechanism that I used here along with where it could be bought. However, I cannot now find it. Does anyone know where these can be purchased? I struck out on Digikey, and I have a very limited supply in my junk box.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:02 pm 

Jthorusen wrote:
Also, I remember someone posting a photo of the probe tip mechanism that I used here along with where it could be bought. However, I cannot now find it. Does anyone know where these can be purchased? I struck out on Digikey, and I have a very limited supply in my junk box.

It's from here:
viewtopic.php?p=2816203#p2816203

These HH Smith probe tips can be had from Electronics Goldmine, although quantity is probably limited there too:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... ber=G21843

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:17 pm 

Greetings to Steve and the Forum:

Thanks Steve. That is the photo I remembered. Unfortunately, upon going to the site and examining the description, I find that one must solder the connection on the back. This would make assembly of my uni-probe problematic.

I need the style where the lead goes through from the back, extends through an angled hole, wraps around and is then secured by threading on a collar with a cone-shaped bore over the tip.

Any leads on where these might be found?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:03 am 

jThorusen,

Try this guy. I buy all my meter supplies from him.

http://stores.ebay.com/KK4HXJ?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Jim

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:27 am 

The part you are looking for is HH Smith model 200
Part is discontinued, some available on ebay. I have sent you a pm re: my limited stock.
-Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 2:19 pm 

To an earlier poster, yes, Gary Clark passed away. Gary built Siamese probes for his meters using standard 1/4" mono plugs and originally encouraged me to make and offer the kits and probes that I sell on eBay. I treasure the emails and information he provided, my collection of his VTVM and electronics books and my IM-28 that he modified. He was a great talent.

Mike Kent
KK4HXJ