Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 11, 2018 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hickok 6000A schematic discrepancy
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 11:38 pm 

I've been trying to fix a 6000A. This is probably a bad idea, but I thought I would replace the old 2- conductor power cord with a 3-conductor grounded power cord. However, as I was rooting around, I noticed that my 6000A does not have the same connection to the power cord that the schematic indicates.
Granted, I am working from a very fuzzy photocopy of the schematic, but it appears that the hot lead goes to the wiper of the Line Adjust rheostat, which is connected to the #83 lamp, which connects to the black transformer lead. The black lead goes straight to the transformer.
But in my 6000A, the hot wire goes to the lamp first and then to the transformer, while the black lead connects at the third pin of the 5Y3 tube. However, the tester turned on and work in this configuration, which doesn't conform to the schematic.
Anyone have any observations about this? I've attached that section of the schematic. Which is the correct way to bring power to the tester?
Attachment:
6000A schematic detail.jpg
6000A schematic detail.jpg [ 95.01 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hickok 6000A schematic discrepancy
PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2018 12:41 am 

I have a 6000a on death row with an original cord, non-polarized, but a 3 wire would run to to switch/fuse, N to transformer and ground the faceplate.
a better pic of the power part, 100v, you are showing the 220v with a 63 lamp, 110v uses a 81 lamp.

Attachments:
6000a 110v.jpg
6000a 110v.jpg [ 64.9 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]