Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 22, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KLH 30 with Garrard turntable tone arm adjustment problem
PostPosted: Jul Sat 15, 2017 9:04 pm 

Hello Everyone,

New member here with a lot of stuff and I will be reviewing the forum topics for help and comments.

But today I just bought a bunch of 78's from a Library sale, and am at the lake where I have a used KLH 30 system, purchased from a yard sale maybe 15 years ago. I just use it for the phonograph, and the phonograph output, and it goes into a bunch of other yard sale collected electronic equipment over many years. (Tuner/amp, 8 track, reel to reel, cassette,and CD player all as part of what I listen to. Also have an self contained RCA EY-3 45 player so I can put a stack of 45's on (and listen to the last one over and over!) Also a set of HH Scott and Polk Audio speakers which make the scratches on the 78's sound great!

The problem I am having is with the tone arm on the KLH 30 system. The Garrard player works fine, but the tone arm automatically gets stuck about 7/8 of the way through many records at any speed. I am not sure where the correct adjustment is for the arm to try to extend the playing before it hits a certain point and just keep repeating in the same groove. Can't be good for the records.... If I pick up the "stuck" arm and move the arm manually closer to the center, it will automatically return to rest.

I do not use the long spindle, but only the stubby one, as I do not stack anything to play on that unit. Not sure if that is important or not. That means the swinging record stabilizer arm is always locked in close to the center.

There is one screw to the right of the tone arm base that is embedded in the surface of the turntable. I have tried turning this to max and min but it does not solve the problem.

Can anyone please assist with the tone arm adjustments for this KLH/ Garrard player?

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks, bobsr

Post subject: Re: KLH 30 with Garrard turntable tone arm adjustment proble
PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 6:58 am 

Trip pawl pivot is stuck. Characteristic of 40yo 'lubricant'. Additionally, trip arm rolls on a ball in a track positioned to collect dust. These are relatively simple maint procedures I could walk you through but not talk you through. Maybe someone is better at such direction.....

Post subject: Re: KLH 30 with Garrard turntable tone arm adjustment proble
PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 2:47 pm 

If you did some searches on you tube, there are many videos on
the basic maintenance of cleaning the renowned hard grease
problems with BSR and Garrard changers.
Hotwax
Here's a couple to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBwW9eITbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OgHwMDaA4