Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Mon 22, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Catridge & Needle cross ref?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 10:41 pm 

My late Dad bought a Silvertone console stereo in about 1961 before my folks were married. This unit sat mostly unused in my memory growing up in the 70s. In '79 a JC Penney all-in-one was set on top of the Silvertone and remained there until about 2000 when folks moved. The pair of them have been setting in a bedroom since.

I recall hearing my much older cousin "ruined" the record changer cartridge by playing loud rock records on it in when he lived with my parents in HS before graduating in '67.

I do know from me fiddling with it in the early 80s was that the volume on the record player was low and there is a probably incorrect cartridge with an adapter plug fitted under the tone arm.

While visiting my mom for the holiday I found the original manual and some service literature sheets that came with the Silvertone. Someday I would like to get it working again.

Anyway, in the manual, the Sears p/ns for the cartridge & needle are given as 57-5705 and 57-5706. The service literature parts list shows for the cartridge 12TL-S (catalog # 5705) and needle as sapphire (catalog # 5706).

Where would be a good place to try look this info up and find out more about what these really are and possibly where to get the proper parts?

I am guessing this is supposed to have a ceramic cart in it and a magnetic one with adapter socket was sub'd in and that is why it was not very loud.

I realize this unit is not particularly a "high end" piece at all. But it is all tube and been in the family since new. Schematic shows 35C5 single ended final amp tubes used for L & R speaker drivers.

Post subject: Re: Catridge & Needle cross ref?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 11:11 pm 

A quick search on eBay showed a seller with styluses for a Sonotone 12TL-S cartridge. I'd contact Gary Stork at https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

He's got quite an inventory and can steer you to an appropriate replacement if he doesn't have that specific one available

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 11:42 pm 

thyratron26 wrote:
Anyway, in the manual, the Sears p/ns for the cartridge & needle are given as 57-5705 and 57-5706. The service literature parts list shows for the cartridge 12TL-S (catalog # 5705) and needle as sapphire (catalog # 5706).

I am guessing this is supposed to have a ceramic cart in it and a magnetic one with adapter socket was sub'd in and that is why it was not very loud.

I realize this unit is not particularly a "high end" piece at all. But it is all tube and been in the family since new. Schematic shows 35C5 single ended final amp tubes used for L & R speaker drivers.

1. OEM Sonotone 12TL-S appears to be a 2.5 volt output crystal cartridge.
For this circuit, you will need another high output cartridge to
optimize volume.

See Here : http://roger-russell.com/sonopg/sonopc.htm

2. Agree that 35C5 power tube may give only 1-2 watts output, but that
would be enough with a 2.5 volt output cart.
2. a. Before a new cart is installed, might be worth testing the 35C5's for performance.
50C5's are known to "burn out" quicker than other tubes.

3. Can you post a photo of the current cartridge ?

4. Please post the Sears model number, also.

Hotwax

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 12:09 am 

Thanks! Gives me something to work with...

Sorry no pix of the current cart. The unit is about 200 miles from here so not likely to get one anytime soon...

This is either a 2063a, 2064a, or 2065a as the manual covers all 3. Radio & Amp chassis is 528.54251 per manuals. Sort of a odd looking cabinet IMO in that it has turned spindles that carry through from the feet all the way to the top surface. The speakers face to the sides and not the front. Lid on top hinges to the rear to get at the changer and radio controls.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:32 am 

There's a Sears Silvertone 2065 in the Minneapolis Craigslist.
Here's what it looks like

Attachment:
sears 2065.JPG
sears 2065.JPG [ 36.86 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 12:59 am 

Thanks for finding that SeniorSteve. That is a VERY similar cabinet. A variation on a them to Dad's. His is darker with the edges of the top & base routered instead of square and the fake door handles in the front a different style. I found the ad were you saw that and from the other photos there, I would say the changer appears to be the same and same controls. Seems that 2063 is Mahogany, 2064 is Walnut, and 2065 is Maple. Not sure what the Craigslist one is vs my dad's.

His looks more like this one:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sears_roe ... er57x.html

Has the rounded fake door handles.

Hmmm, sale price $159. Equivalent to $1290 today! That seems like REALLY a lot of $$ for what it is. Probably why it was kept.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 8:39 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Once you determined correct model number it seems thru research that the Astatic 759 is a replacement for Sonotone 12TLAS which is listed as a replacement for SEARS 33-343-0 and a few other Sears same series cartridges.

Bill J.