Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 22, 2018 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tri-O-Matic early 50's 3 spd record player
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 9:29 pm 

Well, my wife went on a "Billy Whack" and bought this 1950 Silvertone radio/phono combo unit because it looked like the one she had growing up. It turns out to be a frankenradio with a Sylvania chassis kludged in. Anyway, the phono unit has no umph to drive the platter. What I found is the drive shaft seems to missing the rubber (I think). Does anyone make these parts anymore? Does anyone know who made this phonograph? Is it worth messing with?

Attachments:
Record Player (Tri-O-Mattic) top sm.jpg
Record Player (Tri-O-Mattic) top sm.jpg [ 119.97 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]
Record Player (Tri-O-Mattic) drive wheels sm.jpg
Record Player (Tri-O-Mattic) drive wheels sm.jpg [ 83.74 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tri-O-Matic early 50's 3 spd record player
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 10:43 pm 

It's a Voice-of-Music turntable...Contact Gary at his website if you want to persue it..he's the VOM expert. Not an easy (or cheap) repair project for a beginner to tackle with multiple turrets. Just replacing the 3 turret's rubber and idler rubber in your pic would be ~$70. BTW---What's 'Billy Whack'?
http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 11:16 pm 

I'm just a few miles away from you and have a spare VM changer and lots of parts around. I may also have a Silvertone chassis, if you can get me a pic of the one your console is supposed to have, I could say for sure. You may need to replace the motor mounts, to keep the motor sitting in the right location with respect to the platter.

Edit: Did your wife buy this one:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq ... 04472.html
?? If so I have parts from a similar radio, will be happy to give you anything you could use.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 2:14 am 

You don't have to buy any speed turrets you
won't be using.
Replacement idler wheel is needed.
Then determine which record speed you will play
the most, and buy that speed turret.
I only replace the 33 1/3 rpm turret in these V-M changers,
as those are the records I play 99% of the time.

Hotwax

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 2:32 am 

classicelectronicsguy wrote:
I'm just a few miles away from you and have a spare VM changer and lots of parts around. I may also have a Silvertone chassis, if you can get me a pic of the one your console is supposed to have, I could say for sure. You may need to replace the motor mounts, to keep the motor sitting in the right location with respect to the platter.

Edit: Did your wife buy this one:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq ... 04472.html
?? If so I have parts from a similar radio, will be happy to give you anything you could use.

Yep - that's the one.
"Billy Wack" = Obsessed with doing something - Sometimes maybe not the best idea.

I'll check the motor mounts. There were a few pieces of petrified rubber that fell out. The motor shaft that drives the wheels looks like something screws on there. You can see it in the pictures above. Is it missing something or is that the way it's supposed to be?
Here's a photo of the label inside the cabinet.
Mike

Attachments:
chassis label.jpg
chassis label.jpg [ 93.01 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 4:01 am 

mgrant wrote:
The motor shaft that drives the wheels looks like something screws on there. You can see it in the pictures above. Is it missing something or is that the way it's supposed to be?
Here's a photo of the label inside the cabinet.
Mike

That knurled part of the motor shaft is made that way.
There is nothing missing. It gives friction to gripping
the speed turrets.
Clean it well with alcohol and a cloth. It will have rubber particles
embedded in it.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 3:42 pm 

Are you missing the handle from the left door as well? It looks to be gone in the ad photo. I checked last night, I have the phono drawer but no handle on it. I may have pulled the hardware when I dismantled the cabinet, or it may have been gone. I have the right side door with the chassis attached, but it's at my parent's place, and it will be a week or two before I can get there to get it. I can't confirm the chassis number until I do, but it's much closer than what you've got now. If I got $5 for it or a trade for some other interesting old spare parts chassis I would be happy. I'm hoping the handle is on it, if not then I need to dig around a bit (if you need it), we just finished moving and I have no idea where anything is! I also attached a picture of a spare tri-o-matic that I have stored away. If I don't have the loose parts you need, you're welcome to it as a parts donor. The cosmetics are a little different but I think the mechanical parts are identical.

Attachments:
IMG_1354-small.jpg
IMG_1354-small.jpg [ 118.18 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 11:19 pm 

classicelectronicsguy wrote:
Are you missing the handle from the left door as well? It looks to be gone in the ad photo. I checked last night, I have the phono drawer but no handle on it. I may have pulled the hardware when I dismantled the cabinet, or it may have been gone. I have the right side door with the chassis attached, but it's at my parent's place, and it will be a week or two before I can get there to get it. I can't confirm the chassis number until I do, but it's much closer than what you've got now. If I got $5 for it or a trade for some other interesting old spare parts chassis I would be happy. I'm hoping the handle is on it, if not then I need to dig around a bit (if you need it), we just finished moving and I have no idea where anything is! I also attached a picture of a spare tri-o-matic that I have stored away. If I don't have the loose parts you need, you're welcome to it as a parts donor. The cosmetics are a little different but I think the mechanical parts are identical.

I found a new replacement handle on the 'bay (same design) and have that ordered. You mentioned the motor mounts and I checked that today. All 3 were missing so I put some rubber grommets in there - and lo and behold - it works! The 33 1/3 chatters a bit but I haven't cleaned the rollers with alcohol yet. Ya know, I think I'll just stick with the Sylvania chassis for now. It works. I just have to re-cap it (parts are on order). Thanks for the help!
Mike