Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 09, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 49-1615 Console Turntable-Opinions Please
PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 2:52 am 

This is a turntable from a Philco 49-1615. Was pulled from scrapped console. Turntable was not working. Does have both needles and is in great cosmetic shape. Is it worth listing for sale or not? Seems to be unusual with two tonearms but I am not a phono guy. Opinions for you phono folks?

Attachments:
IMG_9942a.jpg
IMG_9942a.jpg [ 121.08 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
IMG_9943.jpg
IMG_9943.jpg [ 97.79 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
IMG_9944.jpg
IMG_9944.jpg [ 94.58 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 49-1615 Console Turntable-Opinions Please
PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 2:38 pm 

Why would it not be worth selling?

These are great units and someone needs one for their console somewhere in the world.
I had a GE LC-659 console. It was missing the changer and it killed me. It is such a rare unit I was going to adapt it. A guy listed one on ebay about a year later and I swooped it up. He said he was going to trash it and was surprised it sold.

Last year someone listed a Philco wireless player on eBay and I bought it. Again the seller said his wife and him had a bet that it would not sell. They thought it was trash. She won the bet.. There is a buyer out there. Post it for sale here and the Philco forum. eBay will get you lots of views and people looking for one will be searching those keywords. It is in great condition but the carts are probably dead so $50.00 would be a start. Having the cutter head is a plus... If that is a cutter head...

Kirk

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 3:30 pm 

Thank you Kirk for your reply. But, as I said, I am not a phono guy. So what is a "cutter" and a "cart"? When powered up, it did make a noise but no movement. Thanks,
Ken

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 4:40 pm 

Not a cutter, a 78 changer with a 33 LP tone arm, one of the very first to play LPs.

PostPosted: May Fri 18, 2018 1:23 am 

I restored one of these a few years ago. Chances are both the 78 and 33 cartridges are shot..as well as the idler. The 33 cartridge was narrow and a proprietary Philco design, and very few cartridges will fit in it. IIRC The 78 function is fully automatic..but the 33 function isn't, since it requires the record groove trail off to be kind of a spiral pattern to actuate the auto trip. Most 33 LP's went quickly to the normal 'straight' trail off groove to the inside of the record instead, rendering the 33 function on this with no auto shutoff or trip. I had a customer that wanted to play 33's on her 40's Philco and bought one of these off eBay and did the conversion. $50 probably max worth on eBay. Also, there is a glass Mercury switch underneath inside some brown cardboard/paper. Be careful not to break that.

PostPosted: May Fri 18, 2018 1:49 am 

Thanks everyone. I will post on the forums first. EBay fees and Paypal fees are a pain. And shipping is getting so expensive. I will post it on the proper section. Going to see if someone wants to trade some tuner knobs for it.

PostPosted: May Fri 18, 2018 9:57 pm 

I'm in S. Jersey just across from Philly, and might be interested in it. The customer that currently has this turntable that I transplanted into their Philco console may be interested to get it as a back-up for parts, etc...PM me if interested.

PostPosted: May Fri 18, 2018 11:01 pm 

Hi, I listed it for sale and it is sold. More to come in the days ahead.