Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 27, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: how do you repair a imperial record changer model #400
PostPosted: Dec Sun 19, 2010 5:02 am 

i have a vintage magnificent magnavox that has a model 400 Imperial record changer with stereo phonics diamond pick up but the phonogragh is not working. it fells like the electric motor is getting really hot but its not turning the record. can i replace the motor or do i need to find a new/refurb record changer and if so where can i find one? help :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 19, 2010 5:24 am 

Sounds like you've got no experience in thse thngs, eh?
Have you checked out local repair shops to see if they can overhaul it for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 19, 2010 6:02 am 

A local shop as mentioned might be the best for your turntable.

That symptom could ba a lot of things, most commonlym a motor froze in place, or it is being held back by un- lubed parts, such as the platter or idler wheels.

If you are mechanically inclined, I'd remove the platter first for an inspection. From there you can see how the motot should turn, and if there are stuck parts that should be moveable.

I found this about your set:

1SC202F Stereorama (1958) Tube Set
Amplifier AMP185 AA (SAMS 449-13)

Phonograph only
Magnavox Imperial 400, EV26 Cartridge (SAMS 408-6)
$300.00 Dec 1958, AMP 185 2-channel 20 watt 4 6V6 output tubes .

Perhaps someone here has the Sam's service info for that turntable. If you are not able to follow a troubleshooting chart or decypher the info, you will be better off paying someone who does. Sounds like a nice set, worthwhile of getting it refurbished.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 19, 2010 3:14 pm 

Topic has been moved to the Phonographs section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 20, 2010 12:52 am 

Thank you Gary, I'm a electrician/mechanical tech & have a great knowledge of how things work, and would like to further my knowledge by restoreing this myself, with that being metioned i'll remove the unit and the platter for inspection and if you can locate the (SAMS 408-6) for me and i will check around this area also then it would be easier for me to trouble shoot and again, Thank You. Tracy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2010 6:52 am 

Hello. I bought one of these units today. The seller mentioned the turntable was not spinning. You have probably done this already, but just remove the record changer (easy, straight-forward job), remove the mat and platter, and try to spin the motor by hand. It should spin freely. If sluggish, lube it, and while you are at it, lube the various changer/speed mechanisms.

I did this today and it works great. I then cleaned the various control pots and it now sounds excellent. Will be better when I get around to a re-cap (slight hum right now).

I actually bought it for the AMP185 AA amplifier, but the cabinet looks so nice, and now that all is working, I can not get myself to break it down!

Good luck!
Steve