Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 01, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: '52 Webcor "midge" record player
PostPosted: Jul Tue 26, 2011 5:10 am 

I bought this fairly beat up '52 Webcor "one tube wonder" for $10 at the flea market. It has the standard selenium rectifier/25L6 tube amp driven by a 3 volt flat metal crystal cartridge. I rebuilt the amp and the mechanism works; but, the cartridge is dead.

Post subject: Re: '52 Webcor "midge" record player
PostPosted: Jul Tue 26, 2011 5:13 am 

Get one of 'dem 3-Volts that Gary Sells from VM, great little carts, cheaper than a rebuilt original.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Jul Tue 26, 2011 5:22 am 

Cute player!

PostPosted: Jul Tue 26, 2011 3:28 pm 

That's a cool-looking player. I wouldn't play many records on it, though; tracking force is around 8-10 grams :shock:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 12, 2011 7:56 am 

Well, I dug this back out and decided to have a little fun with it.

I had one of those Pfanstiehl P-188 style cartridges on hand that I salvaged from a junk '90's era "all in one" stereo. According to my research, it puts out .35 volts and is used in most lower end turntables, including the current Crosley junk. The original cartridge clip was molded on to the tonearm of the stereo that the cartridge was removed from; so, I dug around here and found a metal clip that I was able to make work good enough for testing. I actually salvaged two of these cartridges and I may contact Gary to see if he has the correct mounting bracket for these cartridges. I noticed that he sells the P-190 cartridge, which is the version with a 1/2" mounting bracket, for $11. The main drawback to these cartridge is that they do not use a flip style LP/78 needle.

I knew going in that a .35 volt cartridge was not going to do much with a one tube amp that was used to a 3 volt cartridge. With the volume all the way up, it actually produced moderate sound on some 45's. LP's were not as loud. I then pulled a 7 pin miniature tube socket from my junk, found a 6AV6 tube, rounded up some additional resistors and caps, and added a preamp stage to the existing one tube design. Now, it gets very loud. I still have a few more things to do to improve the sound quality; but, this modification combined with a modern lower output ceramic cartridge can do wonders for these players.

Now, I may have to start buying these "one tube wonder" phonographs that I used to pass on.