Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Apr Thu 24, 2014 1:42 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 9:24 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
Doug,why did Motorola give up on the 3 channel idea then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 9:57 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3679
Location: Berkley, Michigan
I could only guess. Motorola built solid state 3-channel systems, I don't think RCA did. With solid state equipment came more powerful amplifiers, they probably didn't see the need for the third channel.

I had a '64 Motorola Troubadour, the solid state successor for the top of the line portable phonograph. The main unit held the two 6-1/2 inch woofers and each of the swing out removable speakers had a tweeter and a mid. It was so heavy that it had its own built in roll around dolly. It folded up like a folding chair with the main unit being the seat of the chair. It could stand upright and be rolled around like a large piece of luggage. It had a lot of power and unbelievably low and natural bass but the mid and high frequency amps sounded dirty and sibilant. It wasn't real noticeable until you moved the right and left speakers into another room, away from the main woofer. It was first generation solid state with germanium transistors. It just didn’t sound as good as three pair of 6BQ5s.

_________________
That warm tube sound can usually be overcome by turning up the treble.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 10:12 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
Doug,thanks for the reply!
The Troubador sounds impressive,I dont think I've ever seen that one before even in ads.I'll have to see if I can find some pictures online.

I actually love the fact that manfacturers werent worried about the size or weight of the portables back then,smaller units never have the sound quailty.

You wouldnt happen to know the model number of the Vibrasonic portable would you?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 10:52 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3679
Location: Berkley, Michigan
Here's one of them an SH-18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhobhOGGPUo

_________________
That warm tube sound can usually be overcome by turning up the treble.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 11:02 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
Doug VanCleave wrote:


THANKS DOUG!!
I was just watching that video this morning and someone in the discussion section has said they thought it was a sh22!
Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.Now I just need to find one! :D

Do you know what size the speakers in the "wings" are? I am guessing they used the 6" mid and 4" tweeter?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 11:05 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
I just found this ad for an SH-18 on google,its from 1959 but doesnt mention Vibrasonic and it looks different.
http://books.google.com/books?id=rkwEAA ... 18&f=false


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Nov Wed 30, 2011 11:09 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
This ad from 1962 Shows the Motorola Vibrasonic portable but unfortunately doesnt state the model number!

http://books.google.com/books?id=A1IEAA ... le&f=false


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Dec Thu 01, 2011 12:10 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3679
Location: Berkley, Michigan
Maybe you could contact the guy on Youtube and get him to verify the model number, I thought I read Sh18, I can see the Vibrasonic lever on the control panel and I can hear it in the audio. To me it cheapens the sound.
He says it's a '62 model and that's the time that Vibrasonic was the rage.

_________________
That warm tube sound can usually be overcome by turning up the treble.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Dec Thu 01, 2011 2:35 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
Doug VanCleave wrote:
Maybe you could contact the guy on Youtube and get him to verify the model number, I thought I read Sh18, I can see the Vibrasonic lever on the control panel and I can hear it in the audio. To me it cheapens the sound.
He says it's a '62 model and that's the time that Vibrasonic was the rage.


Yeah,you're right Vibrasonic was a fad,Rock-Ola even had a jukebox with their version of Vibrasonic but by that time most of the records were already using echo and the added reverb from the jukebox was overpowering.

Ill have to watch the video again to see the Vibrasonic lever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Dec Thu 01, 2011 2:43 am 
Member

Joined: May Sun 29, 2011 2:01 pm
Posts: 191
Thanks everyone for your help in my questions regarding my sh18. I will be listing it soon on YouTube, there is no video yet of that model on YouTube, I looked lol.. There is a sh21 a d a sh22gl. That's all
Check this weekend and toy will see mine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Dec Sat 03, 2011 3:23 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Thu 12, 2008 3:24 am
Posts: 226
Location: shorewood illinois
Victrolaman wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help in my questions regarding my sh18. I will be listing it soon on YouTube, there is no video yet of that model on YouTube, I looked lol.. There is a sh21 a d a sh22gl. That's all
Check this weekend and toy will see mine

im the guy with the motorola "portable" with the vibrasonic.i honestly cant remember the model#
and i have it put away.when i get the chance to take it out i will gladly let you know the model#
i still get a laugh at motorola passing this beast off as a portable.i cant imagine anyone
carrying it around anywhere,lol.unless they had one of those old metal stands with the wheels
i would guess these stayed put once it got to its new home.

joe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Dec Sat 03, 2011 3:59 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 16, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 512
Location: The Twilight Zone
chompo7 wrote:
Victrolaman wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help in my questions regarding my sh18. I will be listing it soon on YouTube, there is no video yet of that model on YouTube, I looked lol.. There is a sh21 a d a sh22gl. That's all
Check this weekend and toy will see mine

im the guy with the motorola "portable" with the vibrasonic.i honestly cant remember the model#
and i have it put away.when i get the chance to take it out i will gladly let you know the model#
i still get a laugh at motorola passing this beast off as a portable.i cant imagine anyone
carrying it around anywhere,lol.unless they had one of those old metal stands with the wheels
i would guess these stayed put once it got to its new home.

joe


Hi Joe,
I'm glad you popped in here! I love that Vibrasonic Motorola of yours and have been trying to find one but so far none have appeared.
If you ever do want to sell it please let me know!
It was mentioned that the Vibrasonic is activated by a lever,is the amount of reverb adjustable or is it simply an on/of lever?
The record changers they used in this model are beautiful,I love the sleek design of the golden tonearm and the futuristic look of the speed and reject switches.
What is the sound quality like on it? Is it pretty powerful?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1959 Motorola 3 channel portable stereo question? Model
PostPosted: Dec Sat 03, 2011 7:17 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Thu 12, 2008 3:24 am
Posts: 226
Location: shorewood illinois
Hi-Fi in Fiberglass wrote:
chompo7 wrote:
Victrolaman wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help in my questions regarding my sh18. I will be listing it soon on YouTube, there is no video yet of that model on YouTube, I looked lol.. There is a sh21 a d a sh22gl. That's all
Check this weekend and toy will see mine

im the guy with the motorola "portable" with the vibrasonic.i honestly cant remember the model#
and i have it put away.when i get the chance to take it out i will gladly let you know the model#
i still get a laugh at motorola passing this beast off as a portable.i cant imagine anyone
carrying it around anywhere,lol.unless they had one of those old metal stands with the wheels
i would guess these stayed put once it got to its new home.

joe


Hi Joe,
I'm glad you popped in here! I love that Vibrasonic Motorola of yours and have been trying to find one but so far none have appeared.
If you ever do want to sell it please let me know!
It was mentioned that the Vibrasonic is activated by a lever,is the amount of reverb adjustable or is it simply an on/of lever?
The record changers they used in this model are beautiful,I love the sleek design of the golden tonearm and the futuristic look of the speed and reject switches.
What is the sound quality like on it? Is it pretty powerful?

i havent been feeling the greatest these last few weeks so i havent been at the computer much
thats why i just saw the motorola post today. yes there is a lever that i believe says off and on.
i dont notice any difference in either position so maybe its not working correctly? there is also a knob
like a volume knob that goes from 0 to 10,with 0 being no echo and 10 the most.i picked this beast up
about 25 years ago for $10 at the lou gerhig ALS record tent sale they used to have every year here in chicago.i got it on the last day,which was half off day.its pretty powerful but i think if it had bigger speakers it would be even better.someone mentioned the amp is the same as motorola used in their
consoles.the vibrasonic gives some spatiality to mono records so they dont sound so flat but for stereo
it seems to distort the music if put up anywhere passed 1 on the knob.omg i would imagine shipping this thing would cost a small fortune!the changer need some help,hard idler etc and whoever owned it cut the speaker wires off.so the only way they play is to leave them attached.thats about all i can say
about it other than its heavier than heck and is neat looking

joe


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: Larry Hillis Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  














Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB