Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 22, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rockola 441 Deluxe
PostPosted: Oct Wed 03, 2012 11:34 pm 

Was playing my brothers 1969 rockola 441 deluxe jukebx, when it just stopped playing. When you press the selection buttons, they stay down and no record plays. Any idea what could be going on? Mashing the reset does nothing....have to cut the jukebox off to get the buttons to pop back out, and of course when you turn it back on, no record plays. Have checked the 2 fuses that are up top, they appear to be good.

Post subject: Re: Rockola 441 Deluxe
PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2012 2:04 am 

latch selenoid sticking?

Sometimes if it is set on free play, the latch selenoid is wired to be on whenever the unit is turned on, something it was never designed to do. It is only designed to be on until the selections are made. Some guys do it because it's the easiest way to get the unit to free play. Eventually the latch selenoid will fail, sometimes starting on fire. Not saying that's the issue here but one thing to check. I had a Seeburg do it.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2012 11:09 am 

Thanks ggregg! I will definitely give the selenoid a look see! Any idea how to get it off of free play?

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2012 1:00 pm 

Rewire it back to stock, IF it's not now and replace the selenoid. If it's just sticking and not failed, check the linkage that comes off the selenoid and lubricate the linkage where necessary.

This may not be the issue as I'm not that familiar with Rockola mechanisms but it has the right symptoms. It could be a number of other things also, but this one is fairly common. You did not say if this was restored or refurbished. If not, capacitors could be involved somewhere also. If it was a Seeburg, I could go into more detail. Hopefully someone will pipe up.

There are safer ways to put it in free play. The most common being to wire off one of the coin actuators to a switch, like a door bell switch. Push the switch, just like dropping a coin.