Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 25, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Technics SL-D1 turntable from a radio station
PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 5:35 am 

Some of you may recall that about two years ago, an elderly gentleman gave me a bunch of idler-driven broadcast TT's in various stages of disrepair. About six months after he gave them to me, he called to say that he had a newer Technics that was the last TT they used before they went all digital and that he took it home for his own use, but discovered that it had speed regulation issues. So, he offered it to me to play with. My mouth watered because I figured it was one of the SP series broadcast turntables. Long story short, I never could get up with the guy and he gave the TT to another guy to give to me. It only took a year and a half for the other guy to give me the turntable; which, happened this afternoon.

Turns out to be a consumer grade SL-D1 manual TT from the late '70's-early '80's. The dustcover is in pretty sad shape with broken hinges and the platter mat looks like it had something glued to it at one time, probably a piece of felt to enable easier cueing. The cartridge is a Stanton 500 with a black bodied, red dot stylus (whatever version that is). The tonearm seems in good condition and besides needing the usual electronic clean-up, it seems to work pretty good.

Being a consumer grade TT, it does not come up to speed as quick as a broadcast turntable; which, is no big deal for regular use. Something like this would probably be fine for a station that didn't play many records; but, I'd think any station that played lots of records would want something more professional.

In the future, I'm probably going to modify this turntable for 3-speed.

Here's a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQxdz1kc ... _rPI9PQezw

Post subject: Re: Technics SL-D1 turntable from a radio station
PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 5:47 am 

Wal-Mart sold these in the late 70s and early 80s. I was electronics manager at one of their stores, and we didn't have good luck with Technics equipment. Quite a lot of it was returned as defective. I believe we sold that same exact turntable.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 12:47 pm 

I remember you saying that before, Larry, and I've always been surprised by that statement. I've always leaned toward Technics as a decent name, and never had much trouble with their stuff until the 90's crap that plagued pretty much every brand name.

That should be a pretty stable TT.

The 78 mod is here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=325483

Looks like fun, and there is a reasonably priced 3 mil stylus for that body at www.kabusa.com

later!
Eric

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 6:33 pm 

One way Wal-Mart is able to get the pricing they need to undercut competition is to only pay a certain amount. Manufacturers will then "spec" a turntable, or whatever, in order to hit this number. They need to make a dime too. The product that Wal-Mart sells, in many cases, is not the same that is available from another retailer. You may pay more but you do get what you pay for.

Many brands do this, and have for years. It may look almost the same on the outside but be very different on the inside or made with lesser grade parts, whatever it takes. Electronics, appliances, nearly anything, is like this.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 6:44 pm 

Several years ago, we bought an electric grill from China-Mart. First one was a dud, it went back, second one was a dud, it went back and we got a refund, we went to Sears and bought the exact same model; and, it's been working for years. Had the same thing happen with a couple of ink cartridges and the clerk acted like we were returning the old dud cartridge.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 8:45 pm 

The dot on your stylus grip means the tip is spherical (aka conical), as opposed to elliptical. I don't know if the color has any significance. Broadcasters always used sphericals because (a) the signal chain was frequency-limited anyway so top end didn't matter, and (b) they are less prone to damage (record and stylus) when back-cued.

It may have hundreds of hours of wear; get it checked before using it on your favorites.

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2013 2:09 am 

I have the same turntable. I bought it second-hand about a year ago, and have been very pleased with it... very heavy home use.

Just last week it developed some speed regulation issues. You mentioned that the elderly gentleman who gave you this turntable said it had a similar issue.

Will the "usual electronic clean-up" take care of this issue? If so, can you please let me know what specifically that entails? If not, what do you think might be causing these speed regulation issues?

I am only a beginner with electronics, but am a member of a hardware hacker space to learn more from the great people there and have access to the equipment necessary for my occasional projects.

Thank you very much for any advice and guidance you might have that would help me get back up and spinning funky records.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2013 9:29 pm 

Direct drive turntables seem to be getting to an age where the circuits they used to set speed are going out of spec on some models. If there are capacitors in that circuit that can be changed, it might be worth a shot. I've always stuck with older belt drive or idler drive tables without a quartz lock or any of that other stuff, and had very good luck. I stay away from direct drive units.

Techniques turntables overall, have had a great reputation over the years.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2013 1:25 pm 

Do you mean SLIGHT speed variations, audible only on long vocal notes, piano, and to people paying very very close attention? Or, radical drops and lifts in speed, like spikes on a graph?

The slight variations could be what was mentioned above. The radical spikes most likely are dirty pitch control knobs, or even the speed selector button could be dirty and not registering.

Give it a really good cleaning with DeOxit, and work the knobs in for a couple of hours.

eric

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2013 3:14 am 

i have repaired quite a few brands of magnetic turntables and the fine speed adjustment pot was dirty. also, there should be two coarse speed adjustments inside the TT, one for 33 and one for 45. they can act up also.

some deoxit will fix that.

steve