Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Questions about a console I just purchased
PostPosted: Mar Wed 26, 2014 7:24 pm 

I would go with a genuine RCA if possible, the aftermarket subs for these were not very good.

There are a couple of genuine RCA's on the bay but be prepared to pay.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 3:29 pm 

So it's been a while, but I wanted to update about my little player. It's been cleaned and fixed up and sounds wonderful!

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 151.16 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]

Attachment:
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 121.66 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]

(why do these upload upside down and sideways?)

I'm also going off the deep end with classical records as you can see... Anyway, there's a ton of bass in the sound, which is really nice to have extra of, especially for classical and newer records. But somewhat ironically, my original problem with my old player hasn't been solved with this new one. The records still play about a whole step too high/too fast! :P I know it's an old player, but is that problem something that's umm... fixable? It's not that bad for now, but when I play rock it's really noticeable (drums grooving too fast and all)...

Anyway, peace, love and all that.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 4:48 pm 

Running a bit fast is normal for this model and is mentioned in the service manual. the upper end RCA models of this period had
a stroboscope with variable speed to dial in exactly,but not your model.

If it really bothers you, the only way to correct it is to carefully file down the motor shaft slightly. Or you could replace the changer with
another RCA from an upper model that has the variable speed, they show up on the auction site once in a while.

Congrats on getting it repaired.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 6:48 pm 

How fast is too fast? Place a coin on the turntable and count the number of revolutions in one minute.

-David

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 7:14 pm 

Eh, about 34 and 3/4. It's (by my ears) probably about a whole step or more sharp... I mean, it's not that drastic of a difference but for songs with an "in the pocket" groove, it makes them sound really rushed.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 8:36 pm 

That is within specs according to RCA manuals.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 9:22 pm 

That's only 4% fast which is about what you can expect from inexpensive turntables like these. It's possible your line voltage might be on the high side -- maybe you can measure it?

But isn't a step 12.5%? If so, the turntable speed is way better than that.

A classical music enthusiast is unlikely to be satisfied with this kind of turntable. If you want to, you could install a better one into the cabinet. If done carefully the modification could be reversible and would not detract from originality.

-David

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 9:29 pm 

Yeah, I really wish I had the manual to look at. I should just bite the bullet and buy it online. I don't mind it being a little fast, I just didn't want to regret putting the money into fixing it. I don't though, I just am very pitch-sensitive. Too bad the pawn shop didn't have a better model with variable speed ;) Aesthetically though, it's a very cool piece, so I really wish I could mod it. It's cool to be able to stack my 6 LP set of Wagner's Gottedammerung and have it play for hours! I'm just afraid of messing something up by trying to rig it to play slower by myself. ... not to mention getting really dusty from the inside of the unit

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2014 9:51 pm 

Search the forums for "bucking transformer." Maybe if we can pull the line voltage down by 12 volts the speed will come down by 4%. Also you should vacuum out the interior of the cabinet. Make sure there is nothing nasty in there first.

Most people with pitch sensitivity did not buy consoles like this but rather component systems with better turntables. Synchronous motors are dead-on speed accurate but are not powerful enough for a changer, so most of these are single-play turntables. If you want accuracy and record changing perhaps you can get a nice Dual 1019 or 1219 with a magnetic cartridge, and install it into your console along with an inexpensive auxiliary preamplifier. The Dual has variable speed to dial the pitch right in.

-David

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 7:53 pm 

Hi there, new friends,

I've just stumbled across this post from several years ago, in my attempt to find some answers about a very similar piece of equipment I bought yesterday (an RCA Victrola VLT84LK, pictures attached). It looks to me that the turntable I've got is nearly identical to the one the original poster here is asking about, so many thanks for explaining the mysterious functions! I never would have guessed about the silver arm being used for a stack of multiple records. Fantastic!

It also appears that I'm having the exact same problem with my "AUT" function—it does indeed drop the record down when I hit "SEL", but then the playing arm swings all the way to the right and the switch moves by itself to "OFF" and shuts down, instead of playing the record. Moving the switch to "AUT," then, does get the record spinning but the playing arm doesn't move. I've got to use "MAN" and move it over there myself. I'm wondering if the original poster here ever had any success getting this to work, or if anyone has any suggestions for repair. The item was definitely fairly dirty when I picked it up from someone's garage, so at the very least would benefit from some "internal TLC."

Thanks for any help!
Nina

Attachments:
Victor_01.jpg
Victor_01.jpg [ 85.04 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
Victor_02.jpg
Victor_02.jpg [ 50.49 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
Victor_03.jpg
Victor_03.jpg [ 88.85 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
Victor_04.jpg
Victor_04.jpg [ 79.75 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2