Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 20, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 7HF5 needs help...
PostPosted: Mar Sun 09, 2014 1:54 pm 

HI everyone...recently joined new guy here. I just picked up a 7HF5 cabinet for cheap and am in the process of acquiring the needed innards. One major problem though is that the turntable platform has been removed. Does anyone have or know where I can get a template for this? Also, the legs are kinda funky looking. Are they supposed to be nice and brassy looking or are they supposed to be sorta "patina-ed". I saw Larry's suggestion about the Rustoleum reflective gold paint and would certainly try that if they're supposed to be like that. Any help would be most appreciated!

Post subject: Re: 7HF5 needs help...
PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 4:26 pm 

"acquiring the needed innards."

Welcome JohnJon. Just what innards are missing? If amp , speakers, and the changer you might ought to get them first. Might take some time. Just saying because sometimes folks spend lot of time and money on cabinets and then find repairing components or finding parts may never happen. Just how much of "the turntable platform" has been removed? The legs "brassy looking"? If you see rust they aren't brass. Gold paint if needed. How about some pictures. I think I can come up with a template but need some pictures.
Bill J.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 10:01 pm 

Bill, it has nothing inside..no phono, no amp, no speakers. The exterior of the cabinet is really quite nice, couple of minor scratches here and there, but nothing that will warrant an immediate full stripping. The speaker grille cloth is in very good shape and I took care of the funky looking legs with some sand paper and Rustoleum Brilliant gold paint.

I did find a set of speakers for it, more for the directional mounts than the speakers themselves, but it's a good start. The masonite panel that covers the speakers is gone. The interior of the thing (and also the back) had been lined at some point with wood pattern contact paper, so I removed all that. I still need to give the inside a thorough cleaning, but I'm in no rush.

I haven't gotten around to find photo hosting yet, but the pics would only show what I have described...an empty (but nice) RCA 7HF5 cabinet. The board the phono is mounted to has been removed, as have all the glue blocks which supported it. So, before I even begin to look for the electrics, I need to replace this. I'm sure a board with the appropriately space mounts and a hole cut thru the middle would suffice, but I do really want to be like it originally was. Anyone who has removed the phono from a similar unit knows about the oddly shape hole. I had thought maybe in restoring one of these units, someone else had run into a similar scenerio and knew of or had a template for this mounting board.

I have been reading thru old threads and have found that the RP-205 phonograph was used in many models, so maybe I can land on something not quite so in demand for the parts. I guess there's some kind of external speaker switch that was part of the original, but I'm ok with not having that (for now). The label for this on the back was destroyed removing the contact paper which covered the entire rear of the cabinet.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 10:11 pm 

If the cabinet is that nice, and all the components are truly gone, you might consider using the cabinet to house some modern stereo components. You could install a modern speaker system, enclosure and all, right inside the 7HF5 cabinet behind the grill cloth. That way you could have a beautiful cabinet that would sound quite a bit better than a 7HF5 and would be much more gentle to records. With a good turntable like a Dual you could play the finest stereo records on it safely.

Normally I would never be in favor of gutting a complete 7HF5 to do something like this, but in this case you are going to have to spend significant effort and money to find the correct internal components, and after all that you would have something decent but far from what it could be with less effort and perhaps less $$.

-David

PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 11:09 pm 

JohnJon wrote:
HI everyone...recently joined new guy here. I just picked up a 7HF5 cabinet for cheap and am in the process of acquiring the needed innards. One major problem though is that the turntable platform has been removed. Does anyone have or know where I can get a template for this? Also, the legs are kinda funky looking. Are they supposed to be nice and brassy looking or are they supposed to be sorta "patina-ed". I saw Larry's suggestion about the Rustoleum reflective gold paint and would certainly try that if they're supposed to be like that. Any help would be most appreciated!

Keep the legs, foil Victrola emblem, and speakers and junk the cabinet. The cabinet isn't of much use without the original turntable platform. The turntable platform is used to hold the changer, and the amp as well, in place.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 11:33 pm 

If the cabinet is nice, you may want to keep your eyes open for a complete 7HF5 with a beat up cabinet.

Ken D.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 11:33 pm 

Might want to keep the cabinet for the badges ,grill cloth and in case you find another with a trashed cabinet. Sometimes you can find one with good guts and a trashed cabinet. Had to do alot to make the cabinet on mine presentable.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 12:40 am 

Thanks for replies everyone!!

David:...Yep, I have considered this (modern components)...That's why I was keen to snatch up a set of the stock speakers, for those angled mounts. I don't really know, but was fairly confident there are newer ( and better) speakers that would fit on these. And, please don't all shoot me at once, I came into possession of a RS 139 6BQ5 amp in good working order, which is what got me started on all of this in the first place. In reading up about that, I began to learn about the various models from RCA and the like. The cabinet I found on CL, listed as a "70's cabinet"...I had to have it once I saw it in person..lol

Larry...The turntable platform is a biggie, I know. But I have access to a decent array of tools, so I wouldn't be put off by trying this. You mentioned the foil emblem...I found this laying in the bottom under a piece of contact paper covered hardboard that had been "installed" What kind of glue is best suited for re-attaching these?

Ken, Tompbd....I am vigilant...very leery about buying something off Fleabay (prices seem awfully high), but I am checking CL daily for this area (SE Michigan). As I am only into this one for 25 bucks (less speakers) at this point, buying a junker for parts (and more opportunity to learn) is a definite possibilty.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 1:15 am 

I could trace the wood platform and the speaker cover backer board for you to make. Pm me your email address. The record changer is just a RP 190 safely purchased cheap on eBay. You'll have to rebuild it so if it's intact there's nothing to worry about.i learned how to do it from the service manual ( free on nostalgia air.org)RP 190. There are videos on how to do it on YouTube and lots of info on this forum. I suppose you could use a different amp and speakers.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 2:03 am 

Tompbd...that would be great! I did forget about the missing speaker cover. Here's a shot of the inside...notice it looks like the platform was forceably removed. This did cause some damage on the right side, but it's not too bad

Attachments:
20140307_200957.jpg
20140307_200957.jpg [ 31.32 KiB | Viewed 669 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 2:07 am 

JohnJon wrote:
Thanks for replies everyone!!

Larry...The turntable platform is a biggie, I know. But I have access to a decent array of tools, so I wouldn't be put off by trying this. You mentioned the foil emblem...I found this laying in the bottom under a piece of contact paper covered hardboard that had been "installed" What kind of glue is best suited for re-attaching these?

Be sure you use a glue that dries clear. I use Elmer's Pro Bond. By all means don't use super glue. You need to lay the lid back (remove the lid hinge), and apply glue to the back of the foil Victrola label, taking care not to get the glue any closer than 1/4 inch to any edge of the foil label. Position the label where it originally was on the inside of the lid, be sure it is straight, then lay a couple of small boards on top of the label and leave the boards in place for several hours. I generally place my heavy cordless drill on top of the boards for extra weight.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 3:09 am 

Larry...thanx for the tip on glue! I will pick some up tomorrow

I figured it was not gonna be an easy fix. I know it will never be show room quality, but I have to try it. It's like one of those puzzle where you have to remove part A from part B via some wonky manuveurs...my brain just won't let it go until I try it, succeed or fail. Maybe I'm a little OCD? lol. I do appreciate the advice though, and I will keep you in mind when I get to the point of banging my head against the bench! :P

I had never seen one of these in person, so to speak, until I picked this up last week. I thought they were alot bigger and it's just such a cool little deal I would really like to make it go and give it another chance. Sounds hokey, I know, but whattya gonna do?

And a pic from the front

Attachments:
20140310_211236.jpg
20140310_211236.jpg [ 57.42 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 3:13 am 

That's a nice looking cabinet. I don't know why anyone would remove components, and the changer board, from one this nice.

I chopped up a real bad 6-HF-5 cabinet a few years ago and made a test speaker setup (with the original RCA New Orthophonic speakers) for my bench, and I also used the changer/amp mounting board to make up a changer testing stand. I test every set I work on with this set-up.

Attachments:
DSC_0530.jpg
DSC_0530.jpg [ 178.81 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
DSC_0528.jpg
DSC_0528.jpg [ 260.8 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 4:02 am 

Hey JohnJon,

Here's a craiglist in Austin for an RCA SHF8, which will be very similar to your 7HF5 for parts, et cetera.
I think the price is high, maybe you could bargain it down.
http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/4316302794.html

Hotwax

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 7:33 am 

Here's the changer and amp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Victor-7-HF ... 3cdd8db8eb

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 5:12 pm 

"I could trace the wood platform and the speaker cover backer board for you to make. Pm me your email address. The record changer is just a RP 190 ..."

Tompbd,

This one? I thought he needs or wants a 205 series.
Bill J.

Attachments:
RCA-190.jpg
RCA-190.jpg [ 176.07 KiB | Viewed 629 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 5:51 pm 

The 7HF5 uses an RP205 multi-speed changer, not a 45 only changer.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 10:30 pm 

Larry..I did look at that one, seems kinda high to me, for something that doesn't work and if I read that right, 30-35 for shipping? I also saw a questionable SHF-9 for 10 bucks...I mean, if it doesn't work "right", to my thinking, go cheap and use extra cash for new parts if needed.
I do have a question regarding your test stand...does it look like the edges of the changer board are/were rabbited to fit into grooves on the inside of the cabinet, or was it flush mounted and held in place with glue blocks and screws? I can't quite tell from your pic. Mine is dado-ed on 3 sides of the interior of the cabinet, but it's only about 1/4 inch wide. I'm hard pressed to believe that the changer board was only that thick.

Hotwax..thanks for looking out! It's also the blonde model! Alas, it seems to have more issues than mine (if that's possible??) But still.........

Bill and Tom...I would be shooting for RP-205, as I've read that's what they came with. Also, I own not a single 45...lol

Thanks again for the help everyone!!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 11:29 pm 

My bad I was thinking 7hf45. I have a 6 hf5 cabinet too. Same cabinet as the 7 hf5 if I'm correct. Larry?
The 7 HF 5 has the RP 205 multi speed player in it. Service manual also on nostalgiar.org.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 12, 2014 12:50 am 

The 6-HF-5, 7-HF-5 and SHF-8 have the same cabinet.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 58 posts ]  Moderator: Larry Hillis Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next