Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I joined the ...1966 Rock-Ola Coronada NOW RESTORE THREA
PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the info on resizing, I was on my tablet and could not get that to resize. I meant to go back when I was at my computer and resize it, but never got around to it. I just removed the huge one from my post that messed up the thread.

If anyone wants to look thru the manual, PM me your address and I would be happy to send you a PDF of it. It's really cool device and the manual is actually a very interesting read, it's 80 pages and schematics are very clear!

Thanks,
Eric
K8CCA

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

The write in side of the selector pin unit needs to be cleaned. The only way to do this is to remove it. First remove the readout arm on the right. Then remove the 4 small screws that hold the selector pin unit to the mech frame. Unplug the selector assembly and remove it from the cabinet.Clean and polish the selector contacts with very fine emery paper. Clean all dirt and residue with a non oily cleaner, alcohol should work fine. Now clean the write in wiper blade contacts.It is also VERY important that you bend the blades closer toward the selector unit so they make better contact. The selector must be left dry. Do not leave any type of oil or contact cleaner on it. Also be sure that the large plug that connects the selector to the junction box or button harness has been cleaned. Reassemble and you should be good to go.I was the service manager for a route of Rock-olas and this procedure always fixed your problem.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 4:09 pm 

thank you for the tip. This was my next plan of attack. Your advice makes this seem like more of a normal maintenance issue?

Since you are familiar with these units, when I watch a youtube video with a very similar model, the mechanism seems like maybe it's the same, but the record hold seems to rotate at a faster rate than my does. Is this of concern? I have cleaned it the best that I can without complete teardown that I am hesitant to do for fear of really messing it up. The record placement arm was very stiff when I rec'd it and wondered in the speed issue on the rotate could be part of my trouble.

BTW I was able to get the manual added to BAMA site It's the only Rock-ola manual that they have on there, the model 431 enjoy reading it!

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/rock-ola/

Thanks!
Eric

Last edited by k8cca on Jan Thu 11, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 7:36 pm 

Yes, when these were on location this was a normal maintenance, especially in a smoky bar. As far as the record magazine running faster than some others, keep in mind that yours is a 100 play unit and the ones you are viewing on youtube may be 160 play units that appear to turn slower because of the larger diameter basket. It can also indicate that your magazine motor is in really good condition. I never had an issue with any fast turning magazine causing any problems.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 11, 2018 12:36 am 

rro61889 Thank you for your suggestion, I just completed this task as described, and still no Write-in. Any other ideas? Contacts actually looked clean as I had cleaned then once before by dragging de-oxit soaked paper thru the contacts. As suggested, I bent the contact arms slightly to add pressure. I used 99% alcohol and buffed the traces after lightly sanding with 400 grit emery.

I did note that the Write-in relay pulls in when the selection keys are pressed, and the solenoid locks the keys. The write-in arm then spins endlessly after that without tripping any switches. I can manually trip a switch on the selector, which activates the wobble plate, and starts the record loading sequence. If I manually press the stop relay, while the write in arm is turning, the current limiting light illuminates, and the write-in arm stops rotating, but does not trip any selector switches.

rro61889 wrote:
The write in side of the selector pin unit needs to be cleaned. The only way to do this is to remove it. First remove the readout arm on the right. Then remove the 4 small screws that hold the selector pin unit to the mech frame. Unplug the selector assembly and remove it from the cabinet.Clean and polish the selector contacts with very fine emery paper. Clean all dirt and residue with a non oily cleaner, alcohol should work fine. Now clean the write in wiper blade contacts.It is also VERY important that you bend the blades closer toward the selector unit so they make better contact. The selector must be left dry. Do not leave any type of oil or contact cleaner on it. Also be sure that the large plug that connects the selector to the junction box or button harness has been cleaned. Reassemble and you should be good to go.I was the service manager for a route of Rock-olas and this procedure always fixed your problem.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 11, 2018 3:54 am 

See if you can monitor the coil voltage on the stop relay, page 22. The voltage would only be there for a short time as the arm goes past the contacts that correspond to what has been selected. You might need a scope or a
24 to 30V bulb to detect it. ( I suppose you could use a LED in series with something like a 1500 ohm resistor, watch the polarity.) It would be sequence 9, page 30.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 11, 2018 5:55 pm 

First do what Notimetolooz suggested.

Have you checked continuity between the write in contact blades to the write in PC disc? Also be sure that you have continuity between the traces on the write in PC disc to where the wires terminate after the large connector plugs. You may be able to unplug the write in motor and manually turn the write in arm and then check continuity to the specific selection that is pushed. The write in contact blades must press on the PC board with quite a bit of force to make good contact while the write in motor is quickly turning.

k8cca wrote:
rro61889 Thank you for your suggestion, I just completed this task as described, and still no Write-in. Any other ideas? Contacts actually looked clean as I had cleaned then once before by dragging de-oxit soaked paper thru the contacts. As suggested, I bent the contact arms slightly to add pressure. I used 99% alcohol and buffed the traces after lightly sanding with 400 grit emery.

I did note that the Write-in relay pulls in when the selection keys are pressed, and the solenoid locks the keys. The write-in arm then spins endlessly after that without tripping any switches. I can manually trip a switch on the selector, which activates the wobble plate, and starts the record loading sequence. If I manually press the stop relay, while the write in arm is turning, the current limiting light illuminates, and the write-in arm stops rotating, but does not trip any selector switches.

rro61889 wrote:

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 8:45 pm 

k8cca
Any news on this?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 11:57 pm 

Hey got it fixed today! Didn't have much time for the last couple weeks to work on it, but decided to work on it more this afternoon. I had ordered a GC burnishing tool a while back and it was here now, so I decided to pull the WRITE-IN UNIT out and test the relay contacts. I a contact on the ADR RELAY had a contact not making. So I went thru every contact, took them apart and thoroughly cleaned them and when I put it back together it worked!

Thanks for all your help, it was a fun project that I learned a lot on.

Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 12:46 am 

Great! I'm glad you got it going!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 11:59 pm 

One last update to this thread. I made friends with the owner of a local record shop. He is the second owner and it's only open on the weekends, but has been in business since the late 50's. He was curious about me searching thru his few 45's he had out, and I told him about my project and showed him some video of it running. He has tons of NOS 45's for a buck a piece, but they are in his warehouse, everything you want is there, you just have to search thru the boxes and boxes to find it. So he is pulling me boxes out of his warehouse, letting me take them home to search thru and bring back what I don't want. I have bought about 60 records from him after looking thru thousands the last couple of weeks. New records sounds great and are way better than the really dusty ones that I got with the jukebox. The best part is that there are tons of remakes from the 80's of old hits from the 60's and 70's that have good songs on both sides. I have been getting lot's of these.

I then found a handy website (not any affiliation, but works great) that you can make your own record title slips.
https://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/titlestrips.html

So I spent some time typing the records in, putting the strips and records back in the jukebox in the corresponding spots. What a pain, but I am glad that is done.

So the project is done, and was a really fun change of pace from doing radios (although the amp rebuild was nothing fancy)

Thanks for your all help and if you get a chance to get an old jukebox be sure to get it as they are really fun and a great conversation piece.

Eric

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2