Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair to a Magnavox model 1RP622
PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 2:26 am 

I have a Magnavox model 1RP622 run 1. The first thing I am looking for is a needle for the record player. Any suggestion for a website to find one. I don't have a local store to go and get one.
2. The arm moves into position however the base where the record goes does not spin. I looked for a solution to repair for as where I might find parts, or what I might need to check.
Here is some extra information to help to answer these question above.
watts = 60cy
When ordering part look for Model 117V

UPDATE: the top concern now seems to be the system rejects and turns off before the needle arm drops. (arm travels half way, does not drop, and then return and turns off).

Last edited by OldfixNewthings on Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Repair to a Magnavox model 1RP622
PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 3:11 am 

Gary at VM Enthusiasts is a good source for record player needles and parts. The number you gave must be a model number. You need numbers off the various chassis and the changer itself in order to find service information and parts. You likely need to have the changer serviced before it will operate correctly again. There is a good chance the drive tire has become hard and slick and will not pull the platter thru the change cycle. They all do this after 50 or 60 years. Good luck

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 3:28 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
The first thing first. You need to verify cartridge number but if original one you need a 365-DS73 for all speeds. But why buy one until you can determine if changer will work? You can google record changer repair and get what is involved, something simple maybe or something bad.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 4:01 am 

Let us know what level of knowledge you have about your
record player, and if you understand our references and terms.

Record Changer Parts: (website for Voice of Music (V-M) :

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/

Hotwax

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:47 pm 

UPDATE: the top concern now seems to be the system rejects and turns off before the needle arm drops. (arm travels half way, does not drop, and then return and turns off).

PostPosted: Aug Sat 18, 2018 1:53 am 

The wheel in question is the changer speed wheel. It does not spin on it own. You can turn the wheel free hand and it will spin, but when turn to on or auto position does connect to the motor. The motor does come on and spins when power is engaged. It doesn't matter what speed it is set to it will not turn. I believe this is what causes of the plate not to spin.

The other concern now seems to be the system rejects and turns off before the needle arm drops. (arm travels half way, does not drop, and then return and turns off).

I couldn't upload a video to this site so, i created one on youtube.
part 1
https://youtu.be/8iFBTDd0TT0

part 2
https://youtu.be/3uUBk6Ki2nA

PostPosted: Aug Sat 18, 2018 3:15 pm 

1) The behavior of the tonearm is normal. It is looking for a record ready to drop, if it doesn't touch one it returns and shuts the turntable off.

2) On many turntables the idler does not contact the motor pulley while the platter is removed. Make absolutely sure the idler linkage is free to swing towards and away from the motor pulley with no friction. In operation the idler is forced against the motor pulley and platter rim by the geometry of the linkage and the rotation of the motor pulley.

-David

PostPosted: Aug Sat 18, 2018 3:21 pm 

The smaller wheel swings on a pivot. The pivot must be taken apart, cleaned, and lightly oiled.

As for the automatic function, it will always shut off unless it finds a record for the tonearm to tap and check it's size.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiyOvJ6RIcg